Chapter 17: Dangling in the Air

Same day.
2:30 pm.

The fog seem to had stopped the whole town. Everyone except the ones  who had to work were in their homes, helpless against the nature. Kabir was never this idle in his whole life. It took him just a few minutes to make up his mind and get out of his house.

-------------------------------------------------------------
3 pm.

The sound of the doorbell made her peek out of the blanket lazily, with swollen eyes and a red nose, Asmara stepped out and opened the door only to be confused.

"What are you doing here in this weather?" Her voice was weak.

"Just wanted to see you." Kabir smiled.

"Come in. You might get sick, you shouldn't have....ugh sit." She could not even string her words together.

"Its ok. Relax." Kabir made her sit again.

"The weather is terrible." She sniffed.
"And you are still here just to see me you idiot. I am screwed up by this flu by being inside and you are riding 2 streets normally like there's no tomorrow." Confusion erupted in her eyes.

"Hey! Come on now, its ok."

The door of her mom's room bursted open and Mrs. Shahana Khan stepped out, her eyes swollen and voice breaking as if she was trying to hold back her tears. She had come to meet Asmara's mom. Kabir was confused to  see this, Mrs Khan coming here and leaving like this.

"Good afternoon, Mrs.." He was interrupted by Asmara's mom stepping outside trying to stop Mrs Khan.

"Inspector." She tried to hide her worry behind her smile.

"Doctor Khan." He smiled back.

The main door was slammed as
Mrs Khan left, the sound of the engine whirring and a car being drived back was heard by the three of them. Doctor Khan went back to her room.

After a few moments of them remaining quiet, she got up.
"Let me get some coffee for you."

Before she could walk one more step, Kabir held her hand making her stop. "Sit." He smiled warmly.

That little sensation was so new to her, her gaze travelled from her arm in his hand to his eyes and she sat down beside him.

"You know, I could not say it that day but listening to what you went through as a child, I was terrified. Roshanay being my cousin and bestfriend never told me about this. She always respected your privacy. But you are such a brave and strong man and I am so proud of you. Its ok, life happens but its not ok that you did not get therapy at the right time. But I am so happy that you have moved on." Her voice was soothing.

"And thankyou for being there and listening to me or else I would've gone mad. It means alot, really." He looked straight into her eyes.

Her beautiful, hazel orbs staring into his deep soul and her shoulder nearly touching his. She was quiet but her eyes spoke alot. He tucked a strand of her hair behind her ear. They were inches close to each other. So close that they could see each other's reflection in each other's eyes. Their little moment was interrupted by Kabir's ringtone. She got up like somebody had electrocuted her.

Murtaza calling.

Kabir took a few deep breaths, forced a smile on his face and apologized sheepishly. "I am really sorry."

"Oh no no. Its ok." She smiled back.

She went to the kitchen and he took the call.

"The fuck you want?!" He kept his voice down.

"Well, hello to you too, you
ill-mannered piece of shit." Murtaza began. "Where are you?"

"In hell. Why are you concerned?"

"As much as you deserve to be there, there's an emergency." He spoke hurriedly.

"What emergency?" Kabir's heart dropped.

"Roshanay's in the hospital. She has had a nervous breakdown. Be here in 5." Murtaza hung up.

Despite the weather being freezing, beads of sweat appeared on her forehead. Asmara walked out, confused to see him like this.

"Roshanay's in the hospital. We have to go, now." His voice was low.

-------------------------------------------------------------
3:40 pm.
MountView Hospital.

Aryaan was continuously tapping his feet on the floor, his fists clenched. Since 40 minutes, he was thinking of a reason why this must have happened to Roshanay. This case had shattered their lives deeply but she was the strong one, not to take a matter on her nerves like this which made him more bewildered and worried.

"How is she?" Kabir's voice came from behind him.

"She is fine. The doctors have sedated her for now but too much worry and pressure has caused this. I don't understand what must have happened. They found her on the street. What made her step out in such a terrible weather?" Aryaan finally let it out.

Murtaza stepped forward, "We do not know yet. Lets wait for her to be conscious. There must be a reason."

Out of all of them, only 3 of them knew the actual reason. Roshanay, Vishma and Murtaza that what made her step out in this weather. Vishma too comforted her brother and they all waited outside in that cold, deserted hospital lobby.

No one could know better than them, how fate surprises one, shocks one, exhausts one, and makes you stand in the middle of nowhere. That was the exactly the place that they were all in, nowhere, dangling in the air, their lives not opening the doors to the bright side. But there was still some hope left and they all were holding onto it.

-------------------------------------------------------------
Hey readers! Thoughts on this chapter?

Vote. Comment. Share.

Yours Truly,

Haniya Asif.