41. TOGETHER ALONE

CHAPTER FORTY ONE
[TOGETHER ALONE]

CHAPTER FORTY ONE[TOGETHER ALONE]

"Thank you." Valerie nodded, holding Molly's hands in hers. "For everything you've done." She says. Molly smiled softly in response. "I wish you and Malachai the best."

Molly sends a quick wave to the Heretics before they all step onto the bus. They were visibly confused— and uncomfortable in their new clothes. Molly had spent the past hour getting them ready and healthy for their long journey back to Mystic Falls.

She watched and waited as the bus drove off down the road. Partiers still lingered in the street, even as the bright sun came as signal to end the night— but Molly could finally get a good look at the French quarter with most of them out of the way.

The city was a vast, labyrinth of noisy, streets and alleys. The buildings were much more intricate than anything she'd seen before— and she could say the same about the people. Things were different here, everyone seemed to be in the know. Everyone seemed to keep to themself.

But Molly still felt out of place.

She turned around, opening the creaky gate back into the compound. She avoided any conversation with Hayley and Elijah who conversed at the other side of the compound, and head up the stairs to the bedroom where Kai slept through the morning.

Molly quietly shut the door behind her and smiled at the sight of Kai peacefully sleeping on the opposite side of the bed. She slowly climbed into bed beside him, even though she was already ready for the day. She just wanted to be next to him.

She admired his face, and his messy dark hair, and the way his eyes danced under his eyelids as he slept. He had more stubble on his face than usual, and Molly quite liked it.

"Good morning." He said, without opening his eyes.

Molly liked that she was still embarrassed by the fact that he caught her awing over him. She lifted her head and turned it to face the ceiling. "I didn't mean to wake you up." She spoke.

"I was already awake." His voice was coarse. He sat up and yawned, turning to face Molly who still lay on the pillow. He smiled softly as she avoided connecting their eyes, like it was some kind of game to see who would give in first.

Molly felt his gaze on her. The acceleration of her heart-rate has nothing to do with fear and everything to do with what her body wants.

Kai was all logic and feigned cool detachment until he touched her skin. Then something not only stirred in him, but it took over his thinking. The rest of his world became an unimportant blur that was banished into the far recesses of his mind. The only thing that mattered was touching her more, kissing her mouth, her stomach.

He grabbed her by the waist, pulling her up close against his chest. His hand gently glided through her hair, as he looked at her in a way he had never looked at a girl before. As a small but teasing smile crept upon her face, goosebumps lined her skin, not the kind than one gets in the cold, but the kind one gets when nothing else matters except right here, right now.