2-1

9 Years Later

Finally, Laine was off that stupid spaceship. The long flight was over and he could begin his new life. Though how "new" and "his" it was,was up for debate, seeing as it hadn't been his bright idea to abandon Earth. But he was on Thorunn now, and his first priority? Grabbing snacks. Laine slung his travel bag over his shoulder and headed for the spaceport's vending machines.

"Laine Alexander Riven!"

Yeah. He probably should've stuck around to give Mom and Dad a hand with their things. Maybe if they hadn't forced him on this trip he'd be a little more eager to assist them. He snagged a chocolate bar and dragged himself back to his parents.

"Give that here, and go help your mother with the luggage."

Laine looked his dad in the eyes and deliberately unwrapped the bar before popping the whole thing in his mouth. Dad's jaw tightened.

"Laine, so help me–" he began, stopping when Mom laid a hand on his arm, her long black hair tumbling free from the loose bun she'd pinned it into for the last leg of the voyage.

"Jack, darling, Gordon awaits us. We need to meet him and arrange for the rest of our things to be shipped to the house. Laine will keep 'til we reach his place."

Dad calmed immediately. "Yes, of course, dear." He patted her hand before turning to Laine."Don't think that because we aren't on Earth anymore you can still give me attitude. You're not eighteen yet, and this planet is too dangerous for you to chance it on your own. Am I clear?"

"As ice," Laine muttered. Of course he wasn't so stupid as to run away. If that hadn't worked on Earth, it definitely wouldn't work on Thorunn. He wasn't keen on being dragged back home by bounty hunters who cared little if all his limbs were still attached when they dumped him on his parents' doorstep. He readjusted the straps of his bag and followed sullenly after Mom and Dad to meet Gordon outside the spaceport.

Stepping into the bright sunlight was an adjustment. The spaceport had grav controls to compensate for Thorunn's slightly increased gravity, but they extended no farther than the doors. Mom wilted under the sudden pressure, and Dad rushed to steady her, not faring much better himself. Laine kept his feet just barely as they made their way over to the man projecting the "Riven Family" sign from his clip,squinting hard at the unfamiliar, empty scrubland shimmering with heat-induced mirages.

"Laine," Gordon said by way of acknowledgement. He was about Dad's height, strapped into a thick riding jacket, a sol holstered at his side, his helmet tucked under one arm.

"Uncle." Laine hadn't seen him since Gordon had left for Thorunn–when Laine was just starting grade school–but from the little he remembered, he hadn't changed much, still sporting dark scruff in contrast to Dad's smooth shaven appearance. They could have been twins otherwise. "Or Gordon if you prefer–I'm not picky. It's been a long time, but if you're cool with not getting in my face about rules and stuff, we'll get along fine."

Laine extended his hand, but Gordon ignored him, turning to Mom and Dad instead.

"I see what you mean about his cheek. Couple months here should clear that right up." Gordon chuckled and took Mom's bags, motioning for them to follow him. "Though I can't help wondering why y'didn't leave him on Earth 'til he straightened himself out."

Laine scowled. Leaving him behind would have been the kindest thing his parents could have done. He'd certainly fought with them enough about it. Maybe spent a night or two in the space shuttle's engine room when he couldn't stand Dad yelling at him any longer. As amazing as Thorunn was touted to be, it was still the place where the Apollo XXII colony had disappeared without a trace, a place where he had no friends, no network to get whatever he wanted at a moment's notice.