5

Kenton and the Igis Chosen had been traversing the Cerado for a number of days―their path wending east by northeast as they strove to avoid straying into vyss'n hunting grounds, their food and water dwindling down to very little―when their scouts came bounding back with the welcome news that a sizeable water hole had been spotted ahead. Several of the others almost forgot themselves and shifted in their excitement, but a curt word from Kenton held them back. Assuming klia'an form wouldn't be safe until they'd acquired a more human method of travel, and given the strange dome protecting the outpost town nearest them, they couldn't steal transportation until they'd reached the town at the foothills of Mount Lalethusl, still a week's hard travel away.

Kenton updated his maps as they headed for the water, making notes in the margins as to how many trees lined the banks of which rivers, which bluffs hid them and which didn't, and what types of animals they'd encountered―and how to avoid them. Though tedious, the work would greatly aid their return journey. Kenton made sure to review the detailed drawings with the others each night; by the time they finished their mission they'd know every pebble, every speck of dust in the dry, breezeless grasslands.

Preoccupied as he was with noting the position of the water hole, Kenton noticed it too late when the young klia'ans broke rank and sprinted down to the banks of the dark waters where they lapped in relief at the surface that reflected a perfectly clear sky. He shouted after them, but to no avail; thirst held hostage their common sense, only keeping them of a mind to wet their dry throats. One or two actually tumbled in head-over-paws at the very edges in their eagerness.

"You can't drink yet!" Kenton shouted, running to catch up. "Not until we know it's safe!"

"We didn't see or scent anything odd," one scout―Dirnha―responded through a half-yawn, showing off sharp canines.

Indeed, the water hole looked innocuous enough, an inviting expanse set like a precious jewel in the middle of the dusty green and yellow shrubs dotting the Cerado. But Kenton remembered the usual fate of the wildebeests that strayed too close to the edge of many such similar places in South Africa, the country of his birth. His Umama and Pa had taken him on safari quite a few times before Annie came along, letting him take pictures of the bleached skulls he'd discovered in the nearby scrub.

No such bones were visibly apparent, but despite that―and despite the lithe, apex predators klia'ans were when shifted to s'hinoian form―Kenton couldn't help but find wisdom in caution. They were by no means the largest creatures to stalk the Cerado. He held Dirnha back when the scout made to join the others.

"Don't you see that there are no other animals here? No fresh tracks or a well worn anlo path?" Kenton raised his voice. "Get back from the edges! Your thirst can wait until we can be certain there's no danger here."

Seri joined him in prodding the Igis Chosen up the banks, away from waters swirled with mud and grass. They came, but grudgingly and not without protest, tongues darting out to lick up the droplets clinging to the fur of their chins.

All except Bo.

He had practically his whole face buried in the water, drinking as if he'd never drink again. Kenton called louder, knowing Bo heard him by the way his ears tilted back.

Sighing in frustration, Kenton marched up to his friend and shook his shoulder to get his attention.

"Stop pretending you didn't hear me, and let's get back a bit―we're far too close, and who knows what lurks in those depths?"

"Nothing 'cept some tasty-looking little fish," Bo said, finally dragging himself closer to dry ground where he shook all over, spraying droplets into Kenton's eyes. He smacked Bo's shoulder in playful annoyance.