Chapter 4

"What are you?"

Dipper's voice cracked in fear as the words escaped the pre-teens mouth before he could stop them. The creature floated towards him, the movement causing the boy to trip over his feet and land on his back. He tried scrambling away from the creature, legs kicking away wildly in attempt to distance him from the thing that would probably try to suck his soul out or some other demonic deed.

"Whoa, whoa-hey! Calm down, dude!" the glowing figure said, raising his arms up to appear harmless, "I'm not gonna hurt you!"

Dipper narrowed his eyes, "Oh yeah? Tell that to literally everything else that has said the same thing before trying to kill me!"

It (he?) opened his mouth to retaliate before slowly closing it, "Okay, fair point. But I promise I won't hurt you. Swear on my life- er-well, afterlife? I dunno, same concept."

He muttered the last part to himself, scratching the back of his neck nervously and averting his eyes. He glanced back to the pre-teen, "Ah-jeez. Let me help you...?" He offered a out a hand.

Dipper hesitated, scanning the glowing appendage hard. Deciding on "what the hell" he took it. He shivered at the cold that traveled through his whole body. The floating teen (?) smiled and hefted him off the floor with incredible ease.

"So," Dipper started, gathering his thoughts as he brushed himself off, "Who are you? Or what are you?"

The creature grinned, "Phantom! Danny Phantom, your friendly neighborhood ghost!" He did a dramatic bow at the end of his introduction.

"A ghost?" Dipper frowned, "You're not like any ghost I've seen though," the pre-teen gave the ghost an inspecting, suspicious gaze, "How do I know you're not going to—I dunno—attack everyone in town and turn them all to wood in some kind of grand revenge scheme or something?"

The ghost flinches back at his gaze, "...or something. I promise I'm a good ghost! I just can't really like convince you, y'know? It's something you have to earn I guess."

"Like trust? Its earned, not given."

"Exactly!" The ghost grinned at him, "You're gonna have to trust me on this. Er- what did you say your name was?"

"...Dipper."

"Alright, Dipper." Phantom gave a nod as if finalizing something in his head, "I think I have a way of earning a bit more of your trust in me. Meet me back here tomorrow, around-say- 9:00...?"

He trailed off at the end, leaving Dipper to decide if it was a good time. The twin, always eager to learn, nodded enthusiastically, "Sounds good to me!"

"Great!" Phantom flashed another smile and he seemed to glow brighter, "I'll see you tomorrow at nine o'clock then. I gotta go right now though. I'll see ya around, kid!"

With that he simply just... vanished. Gone in the blink of an eye. Dipper looked around, even trying to use the Find-Light, but no matter what direction he pointed the odd invention it never flickered to life. Shrugging, the twin started his way back towards the Mystery Shack just as pink clouds started to paint the horizon.

Upon entering the Shack and climbing up the stairs as stealthily as he could, a quiet snore averted his attention. He glanced over, seeing Danny asleep peacefully on the couch. His legs were curled up to his chest and his hands rested lightly by his head. The teenager was covered in a wool blanket, his crutches leaning up against the arm of the furniture.

Dipper could've sworn Danny wasn't there when he left, but he brushed it off on his own exhaustion. 'Maybe he just needed to use the restroom,' he thought, 'not everything in Gravity Falls is supernatural.'

But, really, what are the odds of that?
—————————
hey guys! sorry, its a bit short haha. im currently posting this at 2:29am, so i wrote what i can! i hope its not poopy stinky uh oh

ectoplasmicbutton is up and running btw! its my official tumblr that readers of this story can ask questions to me and the characters of this story. im trying to be more interactive and this is where its headed haha! ill be posting personal updates as well as actual story updates for this :)

thanks for reading! have a happy new decade and a merry belated chrimis!