𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐨𝐧𝐞

𝐄𝐩𝐢𝐬𝐨𝐝𝐞 𝐨𝐧𝐞

———✰———

"My name is Erin Quinn. I'm sixteen years old, and I come from a place called Derry, or London Derry, depending on your persuasion, a troubled little corner in the northwest of Ireland. Its fair to say I have a somewhat complicated relationship with my hometown. You see, the thing about living with Derry is, theres nowhere to hide. Everybody knows, knows everything about everybody, and sometimes all I really want is to simply be left alone."

Erin Quinn woke up on the first day of school after the summer holidays to her twin cousins sitting at the end of her bed the younger, by a mere minute, Orla was reading her diary to the older one, Alana who had her head rested on the Orla's shoulder as she read.

"Is that my diary?" Erin asked the two, mortified, the two twins shared a look before they left the room diary still in hand.

———✰———

"They've gone too far this time, mammy." Erin complained about the twins invading her privacy the twins just shared a look and rolled their eyes as Erin carried on complaining "what next? Trying on my knickers?"

"Don't say knickers in front of your father. He can't cope" Mary, the twins aunt and Erin's mother, scolded.

"Ah, he can cope" Erin disagreed as her father, Gerry, nodded at his wife in agreement to her statement

"Sure, what's a pair of knickers between cousins?" Orla said to Erin which made her twin look up at her in disgust.

"Um, I won't be borrowing your knickers" Alana spoke up which made Erin nod in thanks.

"Less of the knickers" Mary told the three.

"I won't put up with it anymore. Teenagers have rights now, you know" Erin told her mum with her arms folded angrily.

"Don't be ridiculous." Mary told her daughter disbelievingly.

"They do ma. It's true. Sure, Macaulay Culkin might be divorcing his parents" Erin started to make her point.

"Do you hear this?" Mary asked her husband in disbelief as he walked towards the two. "this'll be someone she met at that stupid summer scheme you insisted we send her on. Her bloody friends across the barricades think. I have nothing against protestants. I'm all for integration, I am, but if they're letting their weans divorce them" Mary ranted.

"Macaulay Culkin isnt protestant, Ma. " Erin tried the interrupt her mothers ranting.

"It's only gonna give our weans ideas." Mary carried on.

"Well, he might be." Erin said thoughtfully as she realised that Macaulay Culkin was protestant before she tried to defend herself again "I didn't meet him at friends across the barricades."