78. Ultimate Chase

Bucky lives in a crappy apartment complex in Bucharest. I have my arms crossed as I take look out from outside the apartment room. It's barely windy but I can feel it sweep in. I tiptoe to look off the balcony while waiting for any signal. My head turns to see Bucky staring back at me.

"Heads up, Cap. German Special Forces, approaching from the south." Sam says through the ear piece as the two of us don't strain from the eye contact.

"Isabelle." Bucky greets straight faced.

"Bucky." He takes a few steps as I reply, "You never called, I'm glad to see you're doing well."

He slips inside silently and I follow, "Understood." Steve says and slowly turns around to face us. He takes a second to ask, "Do you know me?"

Bucky stares at him, "You're Steve. I read about you in a museum."

Sam interrupts, "They've set the perimeter."

"Got it, on our way." I reply, when I pull my hand from the ear piece I encourage, "Let's go."

Steve ignores Sam and I, "I know you're nervous. And you have plenty of reason to be. But you're lying."

Bucky tells, "I wasn't in Vienna. I don't do that anymore."

"They're entering the building." Sam tells.

"We have to go now you two." My voice rises slightly, "Catch up later."

"Well, the people who think you did are coming here now. And they're not planning on taking you alive." Steve informs.

"That's smart. Good strategy." Bucky puts simply.

"They're on the roof. I'm compromised." Sam states.

"This doesn't have to end in a fight, Buck." Steve advised.

"It always ends in a fight." Bucky replies.

"5 seconds." Sam educates.

"Steve." I repeat.

"You pulled me from the river. Why?" Steve asks pushingly.

Bucky replies quickly, "I don't know."

Sam fills my ear, "3 seconds!" I stand ready, knowing we've lost our chance.

Steve stares as if it could kill, "Yes, you do."

"Breach! Breach! Breach!" A grenade crashes through the window. Bucky kicks it to Steve, and he smothers it with his shield.

Bucky shields himself with the mattress against an attack from the window as a thud hits the door, "Ok think of something now guys!" I scream as Bucky blocks the door with a table as cops swing in on cables. Steve pulls the rug from under a policeman, sending him flying. Bucky slams another policeman into the wall.

"Buck, stop! You're gonna kill someone." Steve reminds.

Bucky slams Steve down and punches a hole in the floor, "I'm not gonna kill anyone."

"Touch him again and I'll be the one killing." I say through gritted teeth while icing the floor through the doorway. I hear men crash to the ground from outside as Bucky grabs a backpack from under the floorboards and throws it out of the window. Bucky and Steve get behind Steve's shield to avoid upcoming gunfire and I create a waterfall shield that runs upward while I sprint beside them. Cops approach and each of us battle them in different ways. I front flip over some and I grasp their wrists mid hand to hand combat to freeze them together. I shove them over the balcony with a simple swing kick. Three fall over as one struggles to undo the ice. One comes up from behind me and I duck so he can run into his friend. They collide and I shoot a hose of water harshly at them in order for them to fall over the balcony with the rest. When they do more of the police team hurry up the stairwell. Bucky jumps on the zip-line-guy and swings down a level.