A Way Out

They hadn't left this place in a while. He took a deep breath and stepped outside of the gate. He shook in quiet excitement before turning to look back at the place that had trapped him for so long. Inside, his partner was excited as well. ' We're out.' They whispered. He nodded, turning to face forward. "We're out." He agreed.

A few days later, Nightmare blinked as Dream spoke. "Nightmare, I really don't know if having friends over is such a good idea." He said, rubbing his arm as he confronted Nightmare on the couch. "Aren't you still recovering?" Nightmare's tentacles flicked in annoyance.

"We live in a huge fucking house, Dream. It'd be a waste not to use it." Nightmare stated, completely ignoring Dream's second question. Nightmare stood up. "Now what are you going to be doing?" He prompted. Dream sighed and looked down.

The mansion was huge and old. Nightmare, of course, had found out it had a shady past. A couple murders here and there. That's why the house he intrigued him so much. But he still had yet to find anything truly supernatural.

"Staying out of your way." Dream recited. Nightmare nodded. He blinked as the doorbell rang. He and Dream lived in a huge mansion. Paid for by their mother, of course. Nightmare pushed himself up and went over to the door. He scowled as the doorbell kept ringing, someone, no doubt, pressing it repeatedly. He swung it open.

"STOP." He hissed. Horror blinked at him before slowly lowering his hand and nodding. He trembled ever so slightly. Behind him, Dust was coming up. Nightmare held the door for them. They were all coming to Nightmare's to work on a project for the class. They were only missing Killer now. But Killer had said he was going to be late. Something about taking care of some business.

Nightmare shut the door and followed them into the living room. Dust was staring around, his fingers twitching. "Fucking huge house..." He muttered. "School's got me staying in a shithole apartment..." He scowled. Nightmare raised a brow and tipped his head.

"School's paying for you to live somewhere? You homeless??" He asked. Dust glanced at him before twitching and nodding quietly. Horror spoke up from the couch.

"I... I was living in the room... the culinary room..." Horror said. He had grabbed one of the pillows on the couch and was squeezing it tightly. Nightmare stared at both of them, a brow raised. He thought of something and hummed to himself. He would talk to them about it later.

Nightmare blinked and moved over to the fridge. He pulled out a tray of food. It was meat. Immediately, Horror perked up in the couch. Nightmare nodded and watched as the other threw himself over the side of the couch with a thump before scrambling up and approaching the tray. He began to eat messily.

Dust came up next to him and Nightmare offered him a bag of chips. Dust took them with shaking fingers. Outside, they could hear the distant wail of police sirens.

——————————

This was much more difficult than Killer had expected. He took off down an alley, his hood up. He'd tucked the knife away into his pocket. Behind him, sirens were flashing. Killer's legs were burning. "Course the fucking bitch just HAD to wake up and fucking scream!" He spat. He took a few more detours through the alleyway until he ended up in a park. He panted, moving forward and collapsing on a bench.

His target SOUL was pounding. "God fucking damn." He breathed out. The sun had set a bit ago, but the sky wasn't fully dark yet. Killer allowed a few minutes of breathing time. He had to go over to Nightmare's soon. He knew where it was. In fact, he'd seen it while running from the police.

"Just gotta go back..." He muttered to himself. He continued to stare blankly up at the darkening sky. His fingers tapped the wooden bench. He jumped as someone spoke.