A Naïve Conduit

Cross already knew this skeleton. Well, not really, but he knew enough about him. He gave Nightmare's tentacle a squeeze before getting up. Chara had already vanished up the stairs, meaning they could sense something important.

Cross moved over to the stairs and started up as he heard Ink introducing Error to the others. He emerged into the second floor and climbed the staircase once again to the third. He stopped. Dream shut his bedroom door softly, shaking and wide-eyed.

Cross immediately called Chara to him and his eyes became the targets once again, plunging the world into their vision. Oh shit. Dream's spirit was loosely attached to his body. It was attached by its wrists and legs, but other than that, the spirit was completely loose.

Cross furrowed his brow and blinked, expelling the human's vision. He came fully up the stairs and spoke. "Dream." Immediately, the other whipped his head up and gulped.

"C-C-Cross... I-I-" He was cut off as Cross spoke, moving over to him.

"You are not well." Cross stated firmly. Dream blinked in what seemed to be shock.

————————————

Dream was shaken. How had Cross known?? He'd JUST woken up like this. He stumbled and Cross caught him. Cross seemed to study him with a perplexed look as Dream apologized. "Dream." He spoke in that formal, serious tone.

Dream looked up, a bit startled. Cross tipped his head as he helped Dream stand up straight. "I... think you may be a medium."

Without hesitation, Dream furrowed his brow. "No, I'm a small." He replied, his mind having immediately gone to clothing sizes. Cross blinked and for the first time, Dream saw an expression of surprise on the other's usually stoic face. Then, his face heated up as he heard something.

Cross was laughing. Softly, but clearly trying to control himself. Genuine laughter. He'd heard Cross laugh before, but never because of something that HE had done. Dream blushed and sputtered. "Wh-Why the amusement??"

Cross managed to steady himself and gave a sigh. "I do not speak of clothing. I am saying that you are a medium for SPIRITS." At the word, Dream's eyes widened. He stared at Cross.

"I..." He was unable to even form a sentence.

————————————

Cross could tell he'd taken the other by surprise. He watched as Dream sputtered to get out a response. Finally, Dream gulped. "Spirits? They... they are just myth..."

Cross furrowed his brow. "Don't lie to me. I know you are aware of Horror's spirit, Lust." At the name, Dream was unable to conceal his gasp of recognition and he covered his mouth. "And..." Cross' tone darkened. "That Summoning Game you played in the graveyard."

————————————

Immediately, Dream was taken back. "You... how did you know about that...?? Did Nightmare tell you??" Dream was shaken. He couldn't feel his positive aura anymore. Nor Nightmare's negative aura from downstairs.

There was only one thing in the air and it was the creeping chill that seemed to swamp the room from Cross. Cross chuckled, but he no longer sounded amused. "Nightmare didn't NEED to tell me. I was there."

Dream furrowed his brow. "It was YOU who reminded him of my story, wasn't it? A great soldier, died in battle, cursed to share half of a SOUL." Cross' voice had taken on an echoing thrum and Dream's breath caught in his throat.