13

Blaire's POV

I hung up the phone with shaky hands and checked the clock. 4:30. Jake would be here by 5.

A bundle of nerves started forming in my stomach and if it wasn't for the fact that I was about to meet my mystery phone pal, I'd think that my medication was having adverse effects.

I consider looking in a mirror to fix my appearance, but I hesitate. It may just be better if I don't look at all. 

I lost my hair at the beginning of my chemo treatments, but that had been several months ago. Since then, my dark curls grew back short. I thought of my long cascading hair from pre-disease and held back a groan. 

No use in crying over spilled milk, or in my case, successful cancer treatments.

I planned Jake's timing perfectly. My parents wouldn't be done with work and in to visit me until at least 7, and Harper was at one of Brayden's out of town games. Kimmy was probably at a friend's house until mom or dad could pick her up, which meant for the time being I had the room all to myself. 

I reached for the remote and flicked on the flat screen in the corner of the room. Being one of the oldest patients in the hospital had its perks. For example, they gave me my own room. I switch the station to some sort of meaningless reality tv show and take a deep breath. In 20 minutes my life would change. For better or for worse I was yet to find out.

/////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

4:56

I hear a faint three knocks on my door frame. I peel my eyes away from the television screen and gawk at the human standing before me. Jake wasn't lying, he was absolutely gorgeous.

Tall and broad shouldered with dirty blonde hair and crystal blue eyes. When our gaze met his mouth stretched into a jaw-dropping smile. I suck in my breath tightly, suddenly forgetting how to breathe. 

"Hi Lassie," he spoke softly, but at this point I would recognize the voice anywhere. He really came.

"Jakey," I breathed out. His smile grew wider and butterflies swarmed in my stomach. 

"Can I sit down?" 

I nodded, due to the fact that I couldn't form a sentence. He sits down in the chair across from my bed and opens his mouth as if to speak, but words don't come out. Instead he watches me nervously. I know I have to start. I'm the one carrying a monumental secret after all.

"So, you may be wondering why you're here..." I start out. Jake smiles weakly in response.

I take a deep breath.

"Well, I may as well just address the elephant in the room...I have Acute Lymphocytic Leukemia."