32

Monday:

Blaire: Did you win?!

Jake: We did! It was a really close game.

Blaire: Woo Hoo!

Jake: I wish you could've seen it.

Blaire: Me too :( This whole hospital lock down thing sucks. I have a doctors appointment tomorrow that decides when I will have my bone marrow transplant though, so maybe I'll be out of here sooner than we think.

Jake: What! You didn't tell me that was tomorrow. I've gotta be there. I'll skip school.

Blaire: Jake, it's fine. My parents will both be here with me. You have to go to school.

Jake: Fine, but you promise to call me right when it's done?

Blaire: Why of course Jakey.

Jake: Okay deal. Also, I may have just thought of a way to get you a front row seat to my basketball game on Thursday.

Blaire: Jake...you know I can't...

Jake: Don't worry Blaire, I'll get it all figured out. Trust me?

Blaire: Always.

Tuesday:

*Ring

"Blaire. What happened?"

"Wow, just jumped right into that one didn't ya?"

"Sorry. Hi Blaire! Now, what happened?"

"All good things. My reports came back good and the chemo seems to have done it's job. My surgery is set for a week from today."

"Wow! That's crazy."

"I know. If all goes well I'll have about a 3 week recovery and then they set me free."

"Well, obviously all will go well. Maybe you'll make it to our first playoff game!"

"Yeah, maybe..."

"Okay well Lassie, I'd love to stay and chat but I'm currently sitting in a bathroom stall to answer this phone call and I'm sure my biology partner is wondering where I am."

"Jacob Joseph what am I going to do with you?"

"Now that is a mystery to us all. Bye Blaire."

Blaire's POV

Wednesday:

*1 New Email*

Dear Lassie,

I know you want to be at the game, so I've decided to give you the next best thing. Click on the link below, and make sure to text me right after the game so I know it's working.

-Jake

I click on the link and it takes me to a livestream of a basketball court. I gasp. There he is, number 26. I don't know how he pulled this off, or who was filming, but I nuzzled down into my bed and turned my laptop to full screen. For months I dreamed of watching him play, and now it was all here in front of me.

The game ends 45-29 in favor of Crestwood High. My soft cheer echoes in the walls of my otherwise quiet room. Then, I remember the second part of his email, and I send a Jake a text.

Blaire: That was AMAZING :) Thanks Jakey.

Jake: Don't think it's over so soon ;) Look on the screen.

My eyes return to the monitor and my jaw drops. There, on the screen, Jake and his teammates have formed a line and are all holding out sheets of paper in front of the camera. The words spell out the following:

Blaire, will you be my girlfriend?

Jake: So, what do ya say Lassie?

Blaire: Yes!

I look back to the screen and see the boys have broken out in congratulatory cheers and bro hugs. My face twists into a huge smile, and if I wasn't physically attached to medical equipment I probably would've jumped up and danced. I couldn't believe I was so lucky as to have found someone as amazing as Jake Ellinger.

Blaire: I can't believe you just did that!

Jake: You should know better by now, girlfriend. I'll do anything to make you blush ;)