69 - Always a Beginning

"I think you can relax now. He's here."

Krist glanced at his friend then to where she indicated, across the room.

At first he though there was a some sort of a commotion or a celebrity has arrived. He did a quick recap of the guest list in his head an he didn't recall a celebrity's name on it. Then the crowd parted and the camera flashes died to a minimum, he saw his dream.

Singto walked into the ballroom, eyes immediately searching. He saw the event organizer rushing to meet him, ready to usher him on stage as it was almost time for him to deliver the opening speech. Singto changed course as soon as he found where Krist was. He walked towards his partner, dismissing the organizer's pleas.

Krist was staring, he knew, but couldn't tear his eyes away. He rationalized this, saying to himself that he hasn't seen his P's suit before. He wasn't used to the other wearing anything but black in formal events. Didn't matter what he told himself, he knew that whatever Singto wore, he would still be in awe of how he took his breath away just by being in the same room.

"Kit," Singto parked himself infront of Krist. "Sorry I'm late. Traffic was worse than expected."

"P' you look..." Unable to continue yet unable to stop himself, Krist raised a hand to glide down Singto's lapel.

"Khun Singto, sorry to rush you but you have to take the stage now." The organizer, having caught Singto, ushered the CEO to the stage.

Before Singto let himself be led away, he took Krist's hand and said "Are you ready?"

"For what?" Krist replied.

Singto just winked.

"Before anything else, allow me to apologize for being late. I know it's frowned upon that I be late to my first company event as the new CEO, but traffic was way worse than expected."

The crowd was silent after that. They were used to the stiff CEO they encounter everyday at work, this Singto that was late and apologized for being so, was new. The light-hearted tone of his opening line was new. The Singto in front of them was new.

"Now that we've got that out of the way, on to the real speech." Singto became aware of the silence that greeted him. He decided to plunge forward. "This year has been a year of change and a year of firsts. I know most of you, before I took over the reigns from my Por, knew me only as a correspondence or from an email you may have received once or twice. Some knew me as the CEO's son, nothing more. Allow me to offer my sincerest gratitude to each and every one of your that trusted my leadership and accepted the challenges I presented."

Silence.

"There have been a lot of changes, not only in leadership, but also in the style of leadership. I know most of you have worked in this company before I was even born and have been working hand in hand with my Por through those times, I thank you also for that. To the few that have worked with me from the beginning and have moved with me to this new chapter, your dedication and hard work are very much appreciated. To the newer employees that may have been shocked by the strict CEO, congratulations on making it to the new year with us, if you're still here, you must have done something right, which means you'll be here next year."

*crickets*

"Congratulations on a successful year and may the next be as fruitful and more successful. Cheers and enjoy the night."

Silence - then applause.

Singto made his way to the table Krist was seated at. He was aiming to seat beside Krist when the organizer took his elbow, signalling for him to remain standing.