6. The Lightest of Warnings

Your mother approved after long and tiring conversations. Everything had to be explained to her, and she had so many questions. Back and fourth the conversations went in an endless manner. And, as reluctant and stubborn your mother was, she was willing to listen. She actually took the information on board pretty well. It surprised you.

Like a lot of things, lately.

You didn't realise it now -- but you would later -- that your mother was a very important puzzle piece in your life. Later, is when you'll learn that every piece which didn't fit was just simply turned the wrong way.

After a long stretch of silence, your mother eventually spoke. "Pack your bags now, Tessa. We're going."

You were quite happy with the decision. After being given lots of time to think, you realised that you weren't even happy here. You had minimal friends, and of them they weren't very appreciative. School was too easy and resulted in six long, boring hours of your life being wasted. At home, your mum was barely around, and when she was she was too tired to talk with. Maybe, at the new place, she wouldn't have too much to do and stress over. Maybe, during the move, the two of you will bond and you'll want to spend more time together. Maybe, you'll meet new people that you want to be friends with at an interesting school. Maybe, you'll be happy.

Maybe.

You had three suitcases to fill. So you stuffed one with all of your clothes, which was quite the struggle. You packed all of your bedroom necessities in another, which consisted of devices, required bedding, school stuff, and posters. You had no idea what to do with the other one, so you yelled out to your mum if she needed it. She thankfully came and took it saying she had no room left for her other clothes. 

Meanwhile Chad and Angela waited patiently at the front door, unsure if they should invite themselves in or not.

It was winter here, and school was nearly over for the Christmas Holidays. You couldn't wait for Christmas and New Years. Yeah, you weren't gonna have some romantic kiss beneath the fireworks of the New Year. But you were going to spend time with your mother. You'd make popcorn and have ice cream straight from the container while watching a lovely movie. You'd smile and laugh. You'd hug each other and cry together at the sad parts. You'd finish off eating the gingerbread house that you'd made for Christmas, and you'd talk to each other about everything and anything.

This is how you imagined a mother-daughter relationship. This is how you imagined your holidays to be like.

Key word: Imagined. 

But, as you hate to admit, your holidays were a lot better than how you imagined. You just wish you'd found a balance in the short time you had left. 

But this was still a wee ways away, you have plenty of time up your sleeve. So let's get back to the story.

"Let's go." Huffed your mother as she hauled her suitcase down the staircase, only to look up into all of your impatient eyes. She had taken at least 30 minutes longer than you. And you were getting tired.

"Cool, I'll drive." Chad said heading out the door with Angela. 

The drive was long, so to start a conversation you asked a question. "Where are we actually going? I mean, which country?" You assumed you'd be moving countries.

"We're thinking New Zealand for you two. It has nice scenic views and is a peaceful place to stay at." Angela responded.

"You'll be staying at a safe-house in the South Island." Chad continued as you looked at your mum in excitement. But she was asleep. 

Refusing to sleep before getting on the plane, you plugged in your headphones and listened to some piano to calm you. The rhythmic notes strung along like someone sprinting a marathon; speeding up, only to get tired and slow down. The tempo made peace with your soul as it devoured your heart. Listening to each key intently as they echoed throughout your ears. You let your eyes drift out the window, watching the lines of the road dash by at the pace of your heart. Closing your eyelids slowly, you released a breath you didn't know you were holding and leaned your head against to cold glass.

Which was not the most comfortable position. Your head ended up continuously banging against the window as the car drove along the empty road. Instead, you ended up resting your head on your hand, gaining comfort.

The night was as dark as the stars were bright. You couldn't see them twinkling down at you, but that didn't mean they weren't there.

The light pitter-patter resulted in you opening your eyes to trace the drops rolling down the glass. A mesmerising race to no where.

And, as always when it rained lately, you cried. A silent call to the sky, to heaven. Maybe even to hell.

That's how desperate you were.

How lonely you were.

How hopeless you felt.

Tears rolled down to the tip of your nose, dripping down to your lap.

You'd heard stories of people who hated their lives. And to the extreme measures they took because of that hatred.

You vowed to never do that. You wanted to love your life.

To love yourself.

But at times like these, something as simple as that seemed impossible. The tables had turned, and now it is your turn to be in pain.

Surely, it can only get better from here. Right?

Oh, how dreadfully wrong you were.

Again, this was the warm up before the game.

The car screeched to a stop as you arrived at the airport. Pulling out your headphones, you woke up your mother and kept her close as you got out of the vehicle. The officers took most of your luggage, but you guys took some too.

Apparently you didn't need to check in or anything as you were taking a private plane payed for by the government. You assumed that the officers work for them secretly, like agents.

You sat with your mother in an empty plane and drifted to sleep. Piano music back in your ears, the only breathing to be heard was your own, and the low hum of the engine enhanced your deep sleep.

You were shaken awake by your mother as she pointed out the plane window. Below, you saw farm land and moving ants that you assumed were cars. But, slightly above all that, you saw an ocean. One, with a fireball sitting on its horizon. Pink and orange clouds painted the sky as the sun rose from its depths.

This was something you'd never see in the city. You couldn't even remember the last time you'd seen the sun rise, or an ocean for that matter.

"Honey, I'm really proud of you." Your mum spoke softly while grabbing your hand. "You've been very brave lately, and I'm really glad we made this decision. We both get a new start, let's use it."

You smiled at her lovingly and nodded, rubbing your thumb against the back of her hand as you rested your head on her shoulder. "I'm glad too."

The moment is always remembered in your mind with pastel colours of beauty. Something miraculous and unimaginable, a moment of warmth and love.

But it should be remembered as the lightest of warnings. Warnings that would only get darker. Looking back, you are horrified by your oblivious self. You want to turn back time, and right the wrongs.

But the wrongs are what made things right.

A/N: This is probably my favourite chapter so far, and I'm looking forward to the next. I think I have a plan for this book, hopefully it works out. It's my first book and I really appreciate votes, but I don't mind if you comment or not, I'm a silent reader myself. Thank you.