Black Christmas

Ritchie sighed as he watched his guild. Everything was in shambles. Mario and David were fighting, Inmo joining in to taunt them both while Lucas tried fruitlessly to stop them from causing damage but Ritchie knew it was only a matter of time before he joined in on the chaos. Bjorn had come back to celebrate Christmas with them and was currently drinking them dry, whilst Kit and Tapio were both messing with his different staves and then struggling to put out the fires they started.

All in all a pretty normal day in Divinus Magia.

"It seems not even the Christmas spirit can settle them down." Brandon commented.

"Nope."

"You know," Brandon said loudly, "you'd think that with what time of year it is they would be a little more careful to be on the nice list."

Catching on to his twins plan Ritchie nodded seriously. "One would think. After all the consequences of being on the naughty list are very... not good."

"Not at all."

By this point the rest of the guild had keyed into their conversation. David laughed and rolled his eyes.

"The naughty list? Even if you believe that stuff, what? You get coal? Yeah so scary." The ice mage rolled his eyes but stopped when he saw the leaders confused looks.

"Coal..?" Ritchie and Brandon both spoke and moved in sync as they looked at each other and then back to the others. "What does coal have to do with anything?"

Mario looked at them incredulously. "What do you mean? If you're on the naughty list you get coal instead of presents. I thought that was common knowledge."

"What!? What kind of punishment is coal!?" Ritchie looked startled. "That's just dumb!"

"There's no punishment there..." Brandon shook his head. "Just with holding of a reward. And you even get something still."

"You didn't know that?" Kit asked confused. "Even Tapio knows that right?"

The cat nodded in agreement as Bjorn chugged his drink.

"Boss knew that too, right boss?" Inmo asked leaning across the table and getting in his face.

"Of course." He shrugged. "Although if you two didn't what did you mean by "consequences" then?"

Ritchie sat on their stand pulling Brandon with him. "Well, in Salode we have a quote unquote normal Christmas for the good kids-"

"-While the naughty kids get what is called black Christmas." Brandon finished.

"So, what is Black Christmas?" Lucas asked after a pause.

"Hmm... well the easiest way to describe it would be..." Ritchie trailed off. How did he describe it to people who'd never heard of it? He and Brandon grew up with it so explaining it to someone who'd never even heard of it was difficult.

"Why don't we explain to them the way that all children in Salode learn of it?" Brandon suggested. "The carol is the best way to explain it."

"Yeah, okay." Ritchie looked up at his curious guild members and grinned. "Sit tight now everyone! We're about to sing you a song!"

"Wha-?" Mario went to interrupt but found himself shushed by Kit.

"Shut up I wanna hear this!"

The room fell silent and Brandon began to tap out a beat on the stand. It started out a gentle merry beat but quickly picked up pace, Ritchie joining in with his own beat, adding an element of slight chaos to the melody. Then Ritchie began to sing.