Chapter Eight

"Kill us." Shigaraki echoes slowly as if he's tasting the words upon his tongue. From all around him, the rest of the villains shift around. Mister Compress rests a hand on Twice's shoulder to calm the masked man, who's spilling obscenities and apologies in one breath. Spinner reaches for a sword at his hip and a sharp hiss fills the room.

Peering over Shigaraki's shoulder, Natsuo sees Toga crouched with her teeth bared and a knife in hand. She lets out another hiss, her bright ochre eyes never leaving Hawks. He notes the trembling knife in Toga's grip, the silver glints sporadically off from the light above and throws the room into a show of dancing silver.

"Do you really expect me to believe that?" Shigaraki questions. Natsuo doesn't move from behind him, watching as the white haired man takes a single step towards Hawks. He can hear a soft chuckle and Shigaraki cracks his neck.

"You should believe it." Hawks replies through clenched teeth.

"Should." Shigaraki scoffs. "It's not up to debate on what I should or shouldn't do. I don't take orders from anyone, including heroes; that's especially true with a 'hero' such as yourself." Shigaraki takes another step closer to Hawks, leaving Natsuo out in the open. To his surprise, Twice steps in front of him as if to shield Natsuo in case a fight does break out.

"Look at yourself. Do you really think that you could fight me like that?" Hawks tilts the feather turned saber in his hand. Under the dim light, the vibrant carmine looks as dull as drying blood. True to Hawks' observation, Natsuo sees the blood beginning to blossom across the freshly applied bandages. If Shigaraki does end up getting in a fight, he's worried that he won't have the proper supplies should the gash open up even more.

"Quit fooling yourself. I can see through your shitty lies. If you really wanted to kill us, you wouldn't be standing here exclaiming it like an idiot. Stop insulting me, do you really think I'm stupid?" Shigaraki tilts his head to the side. Snow white hair cascades over his shoulders. Natsuo shares a glance with Spinner, it seems that even he isn't sure what to do in a situation such as this.

"I'm not lying." It doesn't take a genius to hear the distress in Hawks' voice. It comes in waves, crashing down and threatening to crack. His voice comes out raspy and low as if it's all that he even has and doesn't want to lose that as well. Next to him, there's a hum. Mister Compress nods knowingly as if he can sense the growing turmoil that threatens to pull Hawks apart at the seams. Seeing the magician relax slightly makes Natsuo feel at least a little better.

"Then why haven't you tried to kill us yet?" Shigaraki questions, taking yet another step. Natsuo has never seen the kingpin act so brazenly. All it takes is a sweep of that razor sharp feather in Hawks' grip and Shigaraki would be no more. Just as his quirk, the League of Villains would crumble onto itself until all that would remain are the painful memories that they had wrought down onto society. That's all it takes. Shigaraki has no protection, he's heavily bandaged and not even in a fighting position.

The thought of another person getting hurt in front of him makes Natsuo's hands shake. All of the miniscule relief that Mister Compress had given him instantly disappears again. Worry eats away at his stomach when Hawks says nothing and only narrows his eyes at Shigaraki.

"Are you waiting for the perfect chance to strike?" Natsuo can hear the smile in Shigaraki's goading query. "I'm standing right here." Shigaraki extends out his arms in a welcoming gesture for Hawks attack. There's a flash of scarlet and Natsuo lets out a shout. He moves without thinking and barrels past Twice.