Chapter 10 - Uncertainty Before the Attack

Celenore

Claire did not enjoy her adventure quite as much by the second day. Losing a night of sleep didn't help. She tried to sleep in the sky, resting her cheek against the warm scales of Jovari's thick neck. At times she had dozed off, only to have strange dreams about Kane. She saw him on the back of a red dragon, flying into battle with the Ice Clan. The scent of fear thick in the air. Not coming from the dragons, but from whatever they were planning to attack. It felt like watching a catastrophic disaster unfold before her. Like a bad dream, but bigger. She found herself jerking awake frequently to the unnerving feeling of being in the sky. It was disorienting and disconcerting.

Their second day drew to an end, at last bringing them to their destination. They had crossed into Celenore many hours ago, flying over the bay where it narrowed to meet the mouth of the Flat River. Her nerves were frayed. Their mission loomed closer with each beat of Jovari's wings. The lower the sun sank on the horizon, the more her heart stuttered. The more her breathing heightened.

They made camp. A place to rest and eat. After having a slice of jerky and some bread, it was time to check on the pairs she'd sent ahead. Had they reached the villages safely? Had they informed the constables?

She closed her eyes, contacting each of them. She found Odrick and Til first. It wasn't difficult to reach them over a short distance. She took a deep breath as her mind touched theirs. It was a strange sensation, reaching for them all at once. She gave them a mental prod, like a finger poke, getting their attention.

"Lady Claire? Is that you? Gods above!" Odrick made his surprise quite clear. "Forgive me."

Til felt her too. "So you really can speak to us over a distance? It wasn't simply a trick before?"

"It wasn't a trick."

Talking to more than one Drengr wasn't as hard as she expected. She merely treated it as if they were right in front of her holding a group conversation. She also felt Rachel and Darcie's minds linked through their mates. Their presence was subtle, like a feather brushing against skin.

"Has everything gone according to plan?" she asked. "Is Swinston ready?"

"Aye." Odrick answered for them. "We flew most of the way then transformed and snuck in as travelers. They were surprised to see us—surprised and relieved."

"And they have been cooperative?"

"Yes, so far. They didn't give us much trouble once we began working with the constable. His name's Rodney. Strange fellow."

She exhaled, relieved. "It sounds like everything is going according to plan. You will be ready by midnight?"

"We will be ready, my lady. The villagers are hard at work as we speak, building trenches and collecting firewood in the dark. We are helping with our magic where we can."

"Well done." She forced her shoulders to relax. "You've made great progress. Report anything that changes."

"Aye, my lady. We will be in touch."

She cut the contact and relayed the conversation to Jovari and Koldis. Those gathered around her listened too.

Next she contacted Gradyr and Jorsid in Lormont. They had utilized the assistance of Lormont's Mage, combining her magic with theirs to build the trench that would circle the village. Lormont was the biggest of the three villages, so they needed all the help they could get. Finally, she contacted Nokin and Hiondel in Osbourne. They too were well underway with preparations and promised to be ready.