Chapter 49 - The Start of a New Adventure

Kastali Dun

Claire flopped from one side to the other, sighing into the darkness. She fussed with the blankets, adjusting them before kicking them away. Cold and then hot. She'd never get any sleep at this rate. How could she? With everything weighing on her. Everything that was coming. Immense pressure gripped her chest with an iron fist. Or was it heartburn from the pot roast they'd had at dinner?

Her secret was out. Everyone in Talon's circle knew what she was destined to face. She could hide no longer.

"Are you asleep?"

That voice! She'd never tire of it.

"If I was, I'm not anymore." Her answer was followed by a gentle tap at her chamber door. She sat up, listening. "Is that you?"

"It's me." A shaft of light filled her bedroom. Talon's figure stood framed in the doorway, filling it entirely. A dark silhouette against the light beyond. Desaree must have forgotten to put out the sconces.

Talon crept in and shut the door behind him. There was a brief darkness followed by the glow of an orb. It cast her room into light and shadow. He was dressed more casually than she was used to. Barefoot, a pair of pants that ended below his knees, and a billowing long-sleeved tunic. A deep V showed a generous sliver of his scarred chest.

"It's the middle of the night," she whispered.

"I know." He gazed back at her. He watched her unblinking, as if she might disappear at any moment. "Desaree was sleeping on the sofa. I did my best not to wake her."

A pang of fondness made her chest tighten. "She wanted to be here in case..." A lump formed in her throat. "In case I needed anything tonight."

The truth was, Desaree was crestfallen. It seemed Claire had only just come back, and now she was going away yet again. Somewhere Des could not follow.

Talon nodded. He still hadn't moved. She tilted her head. "Do you...do you want to join me? I haven't been able to sleep." Without waiting for an answer, she scooted over and pulled the covers away.

"I do." He climbed in beside her and pulled her against his chest. She found a comfortable spot in the crook of his shoulder before tangling her limbs over him. Perhaps if they knotted their bodies together, she wouldn't have to leave in the morning.

Heat erupted as she pushed herself against him, lining her curves with his. A sigh left her chest.

Talon's orb disappeared, casting them into darkness. "I couldn't stop thinking about you," he said. "That you should be here sleeping alone, when I might soak up every last moment with you." There was a thick reluctance in his voice.

"That's...sweet, Talon." She smiled against his chest, inhaling deeply. No matter how long she was gone, she would never forget his scent. "Salt and smoke," she murmured. "That's what you smell like."

He let out a soft snort. "Is that so? I didn't realize."

"I like it," she clarified. "It's what I want to keep with me while I'm away. If I could infuse it into a candle, I would. I'd burn it every day."

He exhaled. "I'm not sure Sprites take kindly to flames in their forest." She got the distinct impression he was smiling. "Trees and all that..."

"You're probably right. Then perhaps a perfume. The Essence of Talon."

Another snort. Louder this time. "I like it." He kissed her forehead.

She sighed and fell quiet, snuggling deeper against him. Even with him here, it was hard to chase away the thoughts weighing on her. "I'm...scared, Talon."