"Does this mean you're white trash now?" Czerny asked.
Whelk neither smiled nor laughed. "Unlock your door. We're doing the ritual."
Whelk climbed into the cherry-red Mustang. His eyes spoke of a plan, glittering dangerously.
Czerny pulled out of the Aglionby parking lot. The silence hung thick between them, unbridgeable. I know what I'm doing, thought Noah. He doubted even his unspoken words. Whelk was unpredictable now, uncontrollable, a plane missing a wing making that fatal spiral. Whelk was a disaster, and though Czerny was driving the car, Whelk controlled where it went.
Still stalling, Czerny pulled into the Henrietta McDonald's parking lot. The tires crunched over the cracked, gravelly asphalt.
Whelk pulled open the glass door and held it open for Czerny sarcastically. He stepped inside and felt the air conditioning on his bare forearms.
The woman behind the corner smiled at them. Well, smiled at Whelk. They were almost the same thing.
Noah watched her eyes devour Whelk's handsome features, and dart to the misleading raven sweater he still wore. He knew Whelk's assumed wealth was every bit as attractive to her as his face.
~~~
They walked across the parking lot to the Mustang, carrying fast food that smelled deliciously greasy.
Czerny raised his burger towards Whelk as if to toast him. "To your new life. You'd better get used to eating this crap."
"Ha." The worryingly determined look in Whelk's eyes didn't change, but Czerny saw him pull up the corners of his mouth a bit. Czerny took a few bites of his burger, and then set it down to start the car.
Whelk popped a few fries in his mouth, and then Czerny sped out of Henrietta.