III

PLEASE COMMENT IF YOU ARE ENJOYING THIS STORY.
~~~
The place was as wonderful as ever. Cabeswater was its name, as they had read off a strange sign that combined the ancient and eternal with modern handwriting.
Despite the fact that elsewhere, trees were the bright green of early summer, these had leaves of vibrant oranges and yellows, and a thick layer of crisp leaves was spread across the ground. The Mustang demolished the beautiful litter in a struggle that was brief, and with a predetermined winner, but was loud nonetheless.
Noah parked the car in a clearing surrounded by massive, ancient trees. Whelk watched as he took a few more bites of his burger, set it down on the dash, and shoved his wallet and keys into his pocket. Whelk shoved the bag of fast food in his bulky bag before swinging it onto his shoulders. It also presumably held some of his fancy electronic equipment.
They made the long hike to the other place in silence that was complete but for the loud crunching of leaves. This wasn't going to work and they both knew it. Well, Czerny knew it.
Whelk was becoming the shifty, nervous creature he always was when he lied, or called himself in sick to go exploring.
What the hell are we thinking?
What could they do? What could they sacrifice but a few happy meals and some Coke? Or possibly a candy-colored car?
~~~
They emerged from the trees to a lush, green, damp clearing. At the bottom of a slight hill there lay a beautifully broken stone structure. It was the ruins of an unknown building, incredibly old. Moss and lichen grew over the crumbling granite bricks.
Scattered across the hillside were an assortment of graves, all so old that there was not even the suggestion of words written upon their tombstones.
They climbed to the top of the pathetic hill.
Outside of the Cabeswater place, it was beginning to get dark.
"What now?" asked Noah of Whelk.
Whelk looked away. He seemed guilty, unable to meet Czerny's eyes.
"I guess we'll take some measurements," replied Whelk uncertainly.
He reached into his bag and pulled out not one of his fancy gadgets, but a skateboard. He pulled it through the air impossibly quickly, but to Noah it seemed as if this infinite swing could have lasted several eternities.