27

"So..." Dad starts after a bit of silence. "Am I going to like your boyfriend when he wakes up or am I going to have to kick his ass?"

"Dad!" I exclaim, surprised. "Of course you're going to like him. How do you know he's my boyfriend anyway?"

"The same way I knew that some of your friends died. I've been watching over you and Eddie. Just because I haven't been alive doesn't mean I haven't been a good dad."

"I know, it's just all so weird." I pause. "You died when we were three, I barely remember you alive, and mom has been... well mom." I explain and Dad laughs.

"I'm sorry my death was so hard on you kiddo. And I of all people know your mother isn't the easiest person to deal with. But you have to realize how much she's gone through. She lost her husband to a terrible disease and was forced to raise two toddlers all by herself." Dad reasons.

"Is that why she always makes Eddie take all those pills? Because she's scared to lose him too?"

"I think so, yes."

"Well now I feel guilty that I've treated her so badly." I mutter.

"And I'm not saying that she's been a good parent, because in all honestly, she hasn't, but she does love you two, and she just wants to protect you."

"Dad?"

"Yes Marie?"

"What do you think life would've been like if you never died?"

"God only knows, Marie."

"Well then you should ask him, Daddy." I say, and he chuckles.

"Maybe I will."

I look back at Richie's face. I was starting to grow impatient. I wanted him to wake up. I wanted to kiss him. I wanted him to meet my dad before it was too late.

"Don't worry Marie, he'll wake up soon." Dad says, as if he could read my thoughts.

"Are you a mind-reader?" I ask astonished, and Dad laughs.

"No, I just know my little girl."

I was about to reply when I heard an audible gasp come from next to me.

"Richie!" I cry, turning my head to look at him. "Richie, can you hear me?" I could see him slowly stirring. I start to tear up.

"Five more minutes Babe." Richie says groggily, and I laugh, while the tears run down my cheeks. I bury my face into his bare shoulder. I feel his arm wrap around me and I start to cry harder. "Why are you crying? I'm trying to sleep."

"Right." I giggle, wiping my eyes. "Sorry."

"Wait..." Richie says, starting to connect the dots. "El? Is it really you?" I lift my head up to look at him, and we stare at each other.

"Yep, it's me. Took you long enough." I giggle. Richie then starts to tear up.

"Richie Tozier, are you crying?" I ask, pretending to be shocked.

"Oh shut up." He groans and leans in to kiss me.

My Dad clears his throat and Richie pulls away, startled.

"Uhh, who was that?" Richie asks, confused.

"Richie, this is my Dad." I say, pointing at my Dad, and I can feel Richie stiffen.

"Oh no." Richie says, nervously.

"Don't worry, you'll like him!" I assure him.

"How can I like anyone who fell in love with your mom?" Richie snorts, and I lightly slap him, too afraid to hurt him.