III

Elizabeth could see the fear in Hannah's eyes as she saw her expression change. It then hit her, they were lost with no way to get home.

"We could try calling my mom, I still have my phone," Hannah said reaching from her purse as if reading her thoughts.

"You can try," Elizabeth replied.

Hannah then dialed the number, there was no signal.

"What do we do now?" Hannah asked.

"I don't know, but before you eat those chips we better save them for when we get really hungry," Elizabeth exaggerated as she saw Hannah reaching for her bag of chips. She could hear the rain pounding on the old roof. I hope it doesn't cave, she thought. She looked at her hands they were blistered and turning red and she was getting really cold. Her hands were going numb, better go find something to help keep me warm, she thought. She looked around the house and noticed that a lot of stuff was still inside. She wondered what happened here. The walls either looked as if they were burnt or scorched by something but everything else was in mildly good condition. She could hear Hannah's footsteps pounding around. She did not know how to step lightly, Elizabeth thought. She could still here beating of the rain on the old, rickety roof.

An idea then came to her head. She rushed over to what looked like a chair, she brushed her hand on it, it was dry and the fabric cushion was still good. She remembered that her house had a chest full of blankets and some of her friends' parents did it too. So maybe they did in the 1800's because that's what this house looked like or early 1900's perhaps. She looked around to find an old chest. She tried to pick it up to figure out its weight but it was too big and too heavy. If there was something in them to help them it was worth opening. She felt around and found a lock. She could feel the keyhole with her index finger. It needed a key. She took out a bobby pin from her hair and tried to pick the lock like in TV shows like Macgyver. Her and her dad liked watching it together, it is older but still good. She stuck it in trying to see if she could pick it but had no luck. She then remembered her lock on her locker at school. It always made a tick noise when she turned it the correct way. Even though that was a dial lock, maybe other locks might be similar.

She stuck the pin back in and put her ear up to it listening for the ticking of the lock being unlocked then she heard a slight tick. She tried opening up the chest but it was still locked. She tried again and this time it worked. There was loud creak noise as she lifted the top of the chest. She saw some dust fall from the rimming. She looked in and could see blankets and various objects. Not anything too important, but the blankets could help.

"Yo, Liza!" Hannah sometimes called her that for a nickname, "Come look at what I found."

Elizabeth closed the lids to keep the blankets protected, and came around the corner into a hallway. She looked to where she heard Hannah's voice saw a room. Hannah was standing in it with a piece of paper in her hand.

"What's that?" Elizabeth asked.

"I don't know I was admiring myself in this mirror when I noticed the dresser it was attached had this on it," she said giving Elizabeth the paper.

Elizabeth took it and carefully unfolded it. She noticed the edges were burnt and glanced up at the dresser. There was an old candlestick laying on its side. "Can you show me exactly where you found this?"

"Sure," Hannah said. She walked over to the dresser and put her hand a few inches away from the candlestick.

"Did you mess with the candlestick?" she asked.

"If you mean the weird gold looking thing with the hole, no," Hannah replied confused.

She noticed some of the middle was burnt too. She looked around the room and noticed most of the fabric had the edges burnt off.