six: i can sabotage me by myself

It's Saturday and Harry has decided to join Niall on his morning run. He's joined Niall a few times before and whilst he enjoys going for a run, he enjoys sleeping in a bit more than the former. But since he's in need of an activity that could clear his mind and put things into perspective, he wakes up earlier than he usually would on a Saturday and texts Niall to let him know that he'll be joining him this morning.

Harry and Niall practically live in the same neighbourhood with only a few buildings separating their flats so they agree to meet up at the park, which is slightly closer to Niall's building. Niall is already at the park when Harry gets there and after doing some warm up exercises, they begin their jog.

Five minutes is all it takes for Harry to regret his decision and it's not because he can't keep up with his friend -- oh, he definitely can and he'd like to think that if he puts more effort, he could outrun Niall. But that's not the issue.

The issue is this: Niall can see right through him and is now psychoanalysing him. Something he won't mind on any other days but when your mum did the same thing the day before, you won't be too keen to go through it again with your best friend. At least that's how it is with Harry.

Just when Harry starts to feel the tension and worries he's been carrying around since yesterday start to melt away, Niall breaks the silence between them, "I take it you haven't talked to Min Ji."

Harry simply grunts, wishing that he brought his earphones with him so he could drown out his friend's voice. He runs a little faster but Niall catches up with him within seconds.

"If you didn't want to talk about it you wouldn't have gone for a run with me," Niall points out and Harry hates that he's right. Perhaps despite his reluctance to talk about it, there's a part of him, albeit a tiny part, actually does want to talk about it. It's not ideal because Niall will give him shit first but that aside, he will also give him an advice that more often than not proves to be useful.

...but not now.

"Can we do this when we're not running," Harry requests.

Niall shoots him a look and then nods, "Fine."

They circle the park twice and Niall stays true to his words. He doesn't say anything to Harry, though Harry could tell that he so badly wants to. No words are exchanged until they stop at their starting point earlier which happens to be in front of a bench.

"I know what you're doing, H." Niall says once he's taken a few sips of water from his drinking bottle. He wipes his mouth with the back of his hand and then runs his fingers through his hair.

Harry has a feeling he's not going to like whatever Niall has to say next but he asks anyway, "What?"

Niall takes a seat on the bench and puts down his bottle next to his thigh. "You're sabotaging yourself."

Harry kinks an eyebrow at him, slightly taken aback by that observation. He also can't lie and say that he's not somewhat offended by that. "How is me not asking Min Ji out on a second date a day after our first date is self-sabotaging?"

"Well, are you gonna ask her out today? Or tomorrow? Or the day after tomorrow? Or--" Harry shoots Niall an exasperated look and that gets him to stop talking. Niall purses his lips together before he continues, "My point is, I know you're not gonna ask her out again even though you clearly like her and that right there is a self-sabotaging behaviour."

"Okay, Dr Horan." Harry snorts, rolling his eyes. But that's all he can think of saying. He brings his bottle up to his lips and takes a few sips, reliving the dryness of his throat. It also helps to clear out the lump in his throat.