Q&A

Thank you guys for 150k! As promised, here's my Q&A! Thanks for all the questions!!

Did anything inspire you to write Pulse? Like another book, author, movie, etc.? - Caseyy678

The first inspiration to write the book hit me when I was on a trip to San Francisco. I was overwhelmed by the beauty of the city—both in terms of its architecture and the many cultures in it—and I was just like, I have to set a story here!! I opened up my journal and started planning that night. As for what inspired the actual plot, I had known for a while that I wanted to write something with angels and ghosts in it...and it sort of just bloomed from there. I was definitely inspired by Maggie Stiefvater (my favorite author) and I used Fullmetal Alchemist (Brotherhood, specifically) as a model for Cian and Vinny's relationship.

Who was your favorite character to come up with/write about and why?- Caseyy678

Oh noooo I can't pick!! I had a lot of fun coming up with all of them. Lucie was an important character to me because I'd rarely read a book with a black girl as the spotlight, and as a black girl myself, I really wanted to change that. Cian, too, was important, because I wanted to write a love interest who had his own story and wasn't annoyingly flawless. Although, I will say that Vinny has a sort of special place in my heart...I loved his character arc, how he began as this timid boy touched by tragedy and then blossomed into an earnest, caring young man. I don't know—something about his ability to retain his kindness even after he'd been through so much really resonated with me. Also, he's just really adorable???

(No, really. If you cried at the end of this book, don't blame yourself, I bawled my eyes out too.)

Do angels have legal identities or are they constantly hiding from the government? - dontaskplease666

Depends on the type of angel! In Cian's case, since he didn't die and is the only mortal angel in existence, he still has a legal existence as usual. As for immortal angels, there are loopholes. Caprice, for example, has had many fake identities over the centuries that she cycles through in order to avoid federal scrutiny. Finally, the Order mostly resides in the heaven so they do not have legal identities.

Would you prefer Pulse to be adapted for film or TV? Why? -  --iridescence--

I have to say film. I feel like the structure of the book would transfer better into one 1 and 1/2 hour - 2 hour film rather than a TV series, just by the way the plot is designed, really. I just think watching it through and experiencing all the happy and sad moments and all the plot twists in one go would just have more punch, you know? I don't know, though. What do you guys think?

Are any of your characters inspired by someone in your life? - XxDarthVedaxX

Actually, no, not entirely! What I will say is that I gave a lot of the characters some of my own traits. Cian's undying stubbornness? Guilty. The way Lucie sometimes says things without thinking about them first? Guiltyyy. Even Vinny's quiet nature was borrowed somewhat from my own disposition. But no, none of them are entirely self-inserts or based off someone real.

How long did it take you to write Pulse? - Caseyy678

Hmm—I have to think. Believe it or not, I wrote the book two years ago so it's a little fuzzy. I believe it took me about three or four days to plan it out and then another two months to finish it? That's a rough estimation!

Do you think you'll add more to the series? -  Demitas3

Sooo...never say never, but no, I don't have plans to add anything else right now. The four books (Pulse, Breathe, Wake, and Vinny's spinoff Angel's Mark) have been sitting for a year, at least, and I think the last book leaves off at a good spot to call the end. However, these characters have had a big impact on my life and I love them with all my heart, so if there's a big demand sometime in the future, I may add another book just for fun...

Time will tell. ;)

THANK YOU FOR READING! Do you guys want another go? Let me know!