ONE

Looking down at the glass of red wine, Chuuya spun the cup in his hand a little, watching as the dark crimson liquid glided around the glass almost touching the rim, but barely. He'd just gotten off from a job for the Port Mafia and was currently drinking himself away in the dim lighting of Bar Lupin. Putting his head back the ginger brought the glass to his lips, downing the rest of the crimson liquid before grabbing his hat off the seat next to him. Going over to the door he pushed it open, putting his hat back on as he made his way down the street.

In all honesty, he didn't really know where he was going at the moment, just letting his feet carry him any which way they wanted to. Eventually, he found himself near the river, this oh-so-familiar river. It was the last place he could remember where he was with Dazai, the last place where both of them had talked. Shaking away his thoughts and looking up at the sky, he admired the hues of oranges and pinks that mixed together creating a beautiful colour palette with the clouds. It was one of the little things that he liked to do, there was just something so peaceful about watching the sunset. But of course, all good things have to come to an end.

Squinting his eyes up at the bridge, he noticed the familiar-looking figure of someone he thought long ago gone standing at the edge of it. There was no way that could be him, could it? A sense of rage and sadness washed over his body as he grew more sure of himself. There was only one person he knew that would do something as stupid and reckless as this. The one person he hated but also loved more than anything in this world, Dazai Osamu.

"That idiot is gonna actually end up dead this time." The ginger mumbled under his breath, a sense of anxiety washing over him. Continuing to watch as Dazai lifted his arms out, Chuuya became more and more sure that the bastard was gonna jump. It reminded him of something like a flightless bird trying to fly, both of them would fall. He just wasn't sure if he should help him or not. After all, why should he after Dazai left him out of nowhere? Chuuya had lost every single ounce of anything he'd felt for the suicidal maniac once he vanished from the Port Mafia. So why should he bother with saving him?

But then again, death was not something you could take back, was it? Seeing as Dazai leaned forward, pure panic shot throughout Chuuya as he watched the body fall to the water with the sound of a splash. "Dazai!" The ginger called out, running over to him. As much as he hated him at the moment, he didn't hate him enough to watch him die. Throwing his hat and jacket to the floor, he dived into the river. The only thought on his mind was getting to Dazai and saving him.

Holding his breath, he swam towards the bottom reaching out to grab Dazai's arm that was covered in bandages. The bubbles that surrounded the two made it hard for Chuuya to see anything, but he was sure Dazai was unconscious, the slight possibility being there that he could even be dead. Gripping on tightly to the brunets clothed arm he swam to the surface. Everything feeling ten times harder from never being as strong of a swimmer and not being able to use his ability to help him.

Dragging the two of them onto land he immediately checked for a pulse, worry beginning to spread over the ginger as it was still there but barely. Bringing his hands to the other's chest he began pumping, not really too sure if he was doing any of the right things to save him. "You better not fucking die-" Chuuya threatened, his voice sounding slightly shaky as a few tears escaped his eyes. He couldn't have Dazai dying on him, if anything, Chuuya was supposed to be the one to kill him, not Dazai himself. All of a sudden a strangled cough erupted from the man under him, water spitting out of his mouth.

"Ch-chuuya?" The brunet called out barely audible, his vision was all blurry and disoriented and he could barely make out anything but he was sure it was the midget. Feeling as if his eyes had something tugging down on them he tried his best to stay awake while listening to Chuuya's worried voice, only to soon fail as he let them shut, slipping away into unconsciousness. "Don't fucking go back to sleep! Yah! Dazai-" The shorter male said in a panic, lightly slapping Dazai's face in hopes of waking him again. In no way did he want to end up bringing the brunet home with him. Dazai was fine now, right? he could just leave him here and go back home, but something in Chuuya was telling him not to.

And as much as he didn't want to listen to those stupid thoughts of his, he knew he couldn't leave the bandaged freak here all alone. Leaning down and grabbing the idiot by his arms, Chuuya sat him up, watching as his torso slouched down. He decided he'd try to give him a piggyback using all the strength he had to pull Dazai up and onto his back. This was probably the worst way to carry someone who had almost died but he didn't really have any other choice.

Finally reaching his apartment, Chuuya felt relief wash over him as he saw his door number up ahead of him. He was sure his body was gonna give out any time soon as he felt fatigued from all the swimming and carrying he did. Dragging Dazai in, he slipped off his shoes walking over to drop him on his couch. He didn't mean to do it so aggressively but his muscles were too tired to hold him any longer. All he hoped was that he hadn't hurt him too bad.

Sitting down on the floor next to him, he let out an exhausted sigh. Turning his head over to look at Dazai, he noticed how the brunet's bandages had come undone on one arm. The fabric hanging loosely from himself, showing off multiple white lines that made their way up his arm with some fresh ones. Curious, Chuuya leaned in closer, tracing his finger along the soft pale lines, being careful not to touch the new ones. It was quite surprising to him, mind the fact of how death-obsessed the idiot was. Chuuya had never found Dazai to be the type to cut himself but would call himself a fool for thinking he wouldn't, this was Dazai we were talking about.

Feeling the male shift in his sleep, the ginger retracted his arm in fear that he had woken up. Looking over at Dazai's face, his expression softened at the sight. His dark brown hair slightly covering his eyes as his mouth was a little bit open making the ginger able to hear the soft sound of his breathing. As annoying and manipulative as Dazai could be when he was awake, he wasn't that bad when he was asleep. Chuuya would never admit it out loud to him, but he found the sight in front of him kind of adorable.

Feeling his own eyelids grow heavy, the ginger let out a yawn as he laid his head down beside Dazai, ignoring the dampness of both their clothing. He knew when he awoke he'd regret doing it, but at the moment he was simply just too tired to even find a reason to care. Eventually, Chuuya found himself drifting off to sleep, getting lost in his own world of dreams and fantasies. The last thought on his mind being the idiot that was asleep on the couch next to him.