Chapter 9

It had been a long time since Alastor had been back to the small shop with a one family apartment on top. With a quick flick of his wrist, he ignited a small flame from his lighter and held it to the end of his cigarette. He leaned his head against the wall behind him. Smoking was a habit he had off and on since he was about fourteen. All thanks to his little lover down in hell. The warm breeze of mid spring made him think of walking home from school with Angel. Splitting a smoke and chatting about classes. The easier, far more peaceful times in their lives.

Aurick and Alastor had been working hard since Angel’s death, diving straight into their plan. Alastor had kept his appearance as ‘Aurthur Jones’ the radio host while Aurick, taking job after job for his father, was slowly becoming the perfect son, and soon to be boss of the family business. Henroin was growing old, he was getting too weak to continue his reign. Both of the men had hoped Aurick suddenly being called to dinner tonight meant what they thought it did.  Even if it didn’t they had agreed it was time, and Alastor had a gift for the Ragni patriarch. 

As Alastor watched the sky darken, his cigarette slowly reaching the bottom, he thought of his Angel. Just like he did every other day for the last five years. Alastor had been promised so many times that his grief would get easier over time. Even his uncle and cousin chimed in with that same old spheal in hopes of comforting him. The only thing that had gotten easier after Angelo’s death, was killing all his hits. The more he thought of Angel, the less human his victims seemed. Alastor watched the sun set, the clouds turning the most angelic shade of pink. 

“Soon, my Angel. Very soon I’ll hold you again and keep the rest of my promises to you…” he reached into his shirt and pulled out a small pendant on a leather cord. On one side of the pendant was the same design as the one he had tattooed onto his left hand. On the other side, Alastor had secured the lock of Angel’s hair inside a small capsule and sealed it in place. He kissed the pendant before tucking it back into his shirt and starting his walk to Angel’s old home. 

At Alastor’s destination, Aurick was in the middle of finishing up dinner with his father and a few of their men. There had been a huge feast prepared by many of the men and the guests they had brought. The only reason Molly wasn’t there was because Aurick had asked her to stay home. He promised he would make it up to her as soon as possible of course. The paper in his pocket would make absolute certain, all her pain and struggles, from her past and well into her future, would be eased. Hopefully that would be enough.

“All right,” Henroin started suddenly with a loud clap of his hands. “Ladies, thank you for dinner, now if you could all go enjoy some company and wine in the garden, there is some important business we men have to discuss.” There was a smile on his face. Aurick tried to smile back, but couldn’t help remembering what happened the last time ‘business’ was discussed here at the old Ragni house’s dining table. 

The women all left the room, some with a huff and some with giggles. When the door to the backyard and garden closed, the remaining guests all shifted in their seats. Aurick took the time to look around at each individual face. These were all men he knew far too well, men who had been under his leadership for years now. They had all already sworn their loyalty to him a long time ago. Tonight would be his test to that loyalty. Alastor had been right those five years ago, Angel would only be satisfied if Aurick went down fighting. 

“I have gathered you all here. My most loyal of men, to witness something that only happens once in a lifetime. With the brood my late wife had left me, I began wondering if it would happen. If this very day would ever come to pass” Henroin gave a hearty laugh and a sip of his drink. “But sure as you all are sitting at this table, it is time. Aurick.” As the Ragni elder addressed him, he smiled and raised his head.