8. Meet my sister

"What do you mean? Adam asked Abubakar.

Abubakar shrugged "You know exactly what I mean. This isn't your house. Why should you tell me it's yours?

"Well, if this isn't my father's house, it will be the first lie I told you. Now if you aren't coming, wait for me out here. I wouldn't stay long." Adam turned and entered the house.

Abubakar was just skeptical. But he chose to stay outside, leaning on a tree opposite the house.

It wasn't long after Adam was gone that the gate opened. It wasn't Adam. It was a lady, a medium height lady. She walked with an elegant swagger. Abubakar could have counted how many times she lifted her right and and left leg but that's not possible when his eyes are focused elsewhere. She walked with an aura of authority and fear all around her, as though she was forced to come out of the house. She wore a long hijab and nikaf so Abubakar could not see her eyes. She was looking at the ground so the only thing left for Abubakar to study was her fingers and her frame. His heart was beating fast but he could swore his blood pressure has skyrocketed when he realized she was heading towards him. He stood straight, trying to be in total control of what is about to happen.

When she reached where he was, she bowed as she greeted him, still not raising her head. "Good afternoon" she said. Her voice was pure and sonorous, very clear even though the volume was so low.

"Good afternoon" he also said with his eyes transfixed on her, hoping she will look straight at him so he could see her eyes. She didn't.

"My brother said you should come in" she said.

The "okay" that Abubakar said came out of his mouth before he even made the intention of saying it.

With that, she turned and he followed her. This time, she walked faster. Abubakar followed her looking at her legs.

When they entered the house, she pointed towards her right and said "he is at the garden" as she took a left turn. That was the moment that Abubakar realized that Adam has tricked and fooled him. He stopped walking because he was angry. First, at Adam for tricking him and second, at the girl for not allowing him to see her face...or even her eyes. He stood there, at the pavement. He took his time to study the surrounding. Not that he has not seen a house that is as beautiful and ornamentally adorned as the one he was in, what baffles him is, if its really Adam's house, his father is stinky rich, far richer than his father. The greenery that embossed the house was beautifully landscaped. There was a parking lot and two cars were stylishly parked. One seems not to be in used, its a 2016 Mercedes E350. The other one is a KIA. Abubakar was studying the house as he stood.

"Come this way please" Adam said at the top of his voice.

Abubakar followed. "Adam, are you serious this is your father's house?"

"Unless if my father isn't my real father, this is my fathers house" Adam said as they sat under a thatch roofing in the garden.

"Is that your sister?" Abubakar can not resist asking the question.

"Yes she is. I told her that I have made a new friend three days ago. She was very surprised and happy that I have gotten a friend. She is very anxious to see you. So when I came in, I saw her reading here in the garden. I told her we are together. she was like "why didn't you come in with him". I told her is because I don't want you to see her. Then I told her to go cover up and invite you in. So she did.

"But I can swear to God she don't know what I look like. She didn't even look at me" Abubakar lamented.

"Well I can swear to God she has seen you from head to toe, can perfectly tell your complexion, your height, the length of your beard and the color of the sole of your shoes. A lady isn't looking at you isn't the same as she is not seeing you. They have a peripheral eye that enable them to see their sides without turning.
Anyway, she has seen you vividly enough through the gate's peephole before going out." Adam laughed. A wicked kind of laugh.

"Looks like she doesn't like me from all indications" Abubakar said.

"Well I don't know, maybe, but what I know is that ladies have twisted reactions. A girl may like something and act as if she despise that thing with passion. Or love it and yet act as if she hates it with passion. My sister will like anything I like" Adam retorted.

There was a brief silent.

Abubakar then spoke "Adam how could you be living in this house and yet steal?"

"Exactly the same question I've been asking myself but unlike you, I have the answer." Adam stood up "I'm coming, let me get some drinks for us, am thirsty"

He went into the house and to Abubakar's amazement, he came out empty handed and joined him again.

"where is the drink?" Abubakar asked.

Adam raised his hands in a surrender fashion "Save your bullet sir, chill, its coming" very soon.

A young lady then emerged from nowhere with a tray of cups and Chi Exotic and bottle waters. She walked very gently so as not to disrupt the balance of the things on the plate. Abubakar examined her and he instantly knew that it wasn't the Adam's sister that invited him in. But she was equally beautiful and charming. She greeted Abubakar, also without looking at him in the eye. She dropped the tray on the table before them and left.

"she also your sister?" Abubakar asked staring at her as she fled.

Adam opened the bottle of Chi Exotic and filled two cups, one to the brim and the other, just half the cup. He took the filled cup for himself. Abubakar watched Adam drink. Then he opened the container and also filled the other cup to the brim before drinking.

"She is the maid" Adam said. He waited for the statement to register in the head of Abubakar. Abubakar couldn't believe it but he chose not to ask further.

"Yes she is a maid" Adam repeated. "she is beautiful isn't she? She has been working in this house for many years. She was brought by my step mom...my sister liked her so they became friends. Don't worry about it, she's been taken care of nicely, goes to the same school that my sister went to."

"You mean secondary school? Abubakar asked.

"Yes. My sister asked my dad to take her to the same school she was going to and he obliged. He's a good man. She'll graduate very soon and find her way to the uni. She wants to study economics she told me."

"Well, that's very beautiful, may Allah reward you guys" Abubakar prayed.

"Amen"

"Your father must be very rich. How comes he isn't looking after you guys as he should? Abubakar was still baffled.

"I thought I have told you everything. He thought he does everything for us. He had no idea that my step mum is swallowing everything. But very soon, everything will change. I am the king of the house when my Dad isn't around. I was here before any other person in this house. I will make my step mum understand, acknowledge and bow to me. I am fully set to unleash my other side to her, the soft way or the hard way."

"It's alright, I trust you Adam. Look at this house Adam, who will ever think..."

"Look Abubakar, there is something about thieves that the world must understand" Adam said, slightly raising his voice.

.....