Chapter 7 - Facing Facts

Face flushed red and heart beating faster than ever before, you remain hidden by the bath house, hoping that Taka won't notice you there. I can't face him now! What would I even say?

You take a peek in his direction, watching as he walks towards the dining hall, where you just left. If you'd stayed there, would Taka have seen you and approached? He does take every opportunity to speak to you, no matter what. Even if there's nothing to say, the silence with him is comforting. Him coming up to you to talk brings you joy...

...so why can't I go and talk to him?

You turn your gaze away from him for a second before standing up suddenly, fist clenched in a determined manner. In an attempt to get rid of the apparent colour still on your cheeks, you wipe your face with your open hand, and start walking towards Taka.

I can do it! Just use words! Just like I normally would!

You poke him lightly on the shoulder to get his attention. He turns around with slight confusion, but then smiles as he sees you stood there.

"Ah, hello (y/n)! I was just looking for you,"

You forget to breathe for a few seconds before snapping back into reality.

"R-really, you were? What's wrong? Has something happened??" Things seemed peaceful earlier, but could the killing game have started? You shudder slightly at the thought.

"No no, of course not!" Taka exclaims. "I simply wanted to spend some time with you. I've barely seen you lately, and I hoped you'd help me investigate the school a bit more!"

He looks down at you beaming, and your face melts into a subtle smile. You'd never seen someone so happy to spend time with you before, it almost felt abnormal.

Wait...does this mean he likes me too? ...No that's ridiculous! I'm just over-analyzing everything now! Ugh why am I doing this to myself?

"S-sure thing," you respond, trying to ignore your imagination. "Is there anywhere in particular you think we should search?"

"Hmm, well it seems that no one has searched the school store much, except Makoto of course."

"Of course..?"

"I've witnessed him presenting gifts to Sayaka on various occasions. They seemed a bit random and...too convenient to have been left in his room. Though I'm not sure what would've been given to the ultimate lucky student."

"Well, let's go see what's in the store then!" you say, starting to walk in that direction, Taka following alongside you.

The two of you don't speak much on your way there as you feel a trace of guilt from not speaking to him in awhile. It's harder to think of any conversation starters now, especially since you're...aware.

If I say something stupid, he'll notice it. If I say something sincere, he'll know my feelings! Aaaa what do I do now? It's not like I could've said no to coming anyway, he's my friend now.

You pick at a loose thread on your sleeve as a distraction from your over-thinking. Soon enough, the two of you reach the shop and walk in without fearing whatever could be there.

Woah!

The room is filled with random artifacts and objects, some of them possibly very valuable, others not as much. Dozens of red paper lanterns hang from the ceiling and a vending machine sits on the side, looking like it hasn't been used in ages.

Better not buy anything from it. Who knows how long it's all been there!

On the counter are more miscellaneous objects, and a curious-looking machine sporting Monokuma's face labeled "MonoMono".