Wattpad Original
There are 4 more free parts

7.

-Sometimes all we need is a friend.

BEVERLY

I always admired the way rain falls sideways. It shows that even the most beautiful things aren't straight-edged.

"Hurry up, this rain is doing horrible things to my hair," my mother complained. I'm not sure why though, she's under the protection of her Honda and her hair looks fine.

I gathered my bag and prepared to make my way out of the car and into the rain to cross the street to my job.

My mother works at the local salon. She had me at a young age and jobs were limited. Her friend, who I call Aunt Macy, hooked her up at the salon and my mom just never left. Seventeen years she's worked at that salon. She tells me that they need her, but I know she just loves how easy it all is. She loves how she can close up the shop up early and have crazy party nights with Aunt Macy.

The pay isn't the best, I can't even tell you how many times I've scraped up anything I could find to make meals. Or the amount of times there were more batteries in the fridge than food. So, when I turned fifteen I started working at 21 Daisies coffee shop. It was a win-win situation, I worked somewhere I loved and I could help my mom out with the bills.

"You're gonna pick me up right?" I asked, already knowing the answer.

"I have an appointment, a Brazilian blowout, I need the gas to get back home," she lied, but I didn't say anything.

I nodded my head and pretended that she wasn't going to the bar with Aunt Macy. My mom didn't really get to have a childhood, she had to take care of me. So I can't be selfish and not let her go out. The walk home isn't that bad anyway.

I watched as she drove off and the rain swished beneath her tires. God, I love the rain. I could literally stand out here forever, the way the rain is still Dribbling from out the sunny sky is so beautiful. If I didn't have work today, I probably would just stand out here.

"Hey, Betty," Felix, my bearded hippy co-worker, greeted when I entered.

Poppy, Lily, and Rose all greeted me afterwards. Their grandma, Daisy, owned the place. I asked them once what was with all the flowers, and they told me it was a family tradition to name the girls after flowers.

I don't think the flower triplets or Felix even know that my name is actually Beverly. Trying to correct them was no use because every time I'd come in they'd call me Betty.

I greeted them with a smile.

21 Daisies is just one of those places that gives you a relaxing vibe. Candles lay on the tables filling the place with that indescribable warmth, poets lay in beanbags and write their works, musicians sit in the back and strum their guitars.

An hour passes and I'm completely relaxed, not that many people come in, so I only occasionally have to actually use the register.

I sit behind the counter and read, until a customer comes in to order coffee or even a gluten-free cupcake.

Or I sit on the edge of the counter and listen to some indie artist sing a song on the stage that lays in the back of the cafe.

No one really talks to me, but I don't really mind.

I took a cinnamon muffin from out of the glass casing and began to eat. I was actually hungry due to my lack of lunch. My mind instantly flew to Everest eating my sandwich today and I couldn't help but smile a little to myself.

I placed two dollars in the register to pay for the muffin and watched as Felix hugs Lily from behind.

She glanced up at him and smiled. I still can't get over how the two of them are engaged. It's like I can still remember the first time Felix came in, with his fedora and long brown beard.

I'm so engrossed in watching their embrace, I don't even notice the bell above the door to ring.