Backstory

Ray had been three-year old when her village was attacked by terrorists. They captured her, and turned into a slave, forced to work for the Iraqi soldiers. While working, she was constantly beaten and overworked, barely getting enough food and water to stay alive. At the age of 7, she was saved by Elliot Spencer when the US Army took over the base. The squadron had no idea what to do with a child, but after Ray proved herself to be helpful, knowing how to navigate through landmine fields, and locating other terrorist camps, they decided to let her stay. After all, it was near impossible to get a rescue mission out without alerting the other camps of their presence.
Several months later, during one mission, one cadet didn't listen to Ray, arguing that she is a child who doesn't know anything. The cadet stepped forward only to get blown up by a landmine. The explosion caught the attention of a nearby terrorist camp and they attacked the small scout group. Elliot Spencer went M.I.A. after the enemy strike. Ray was able to escape and get back to camp where she explained what happened. The team contacted the main base, asking for back up, but when help finally showed up, a week later, Elliot was declared dead. Ray broke due to this news, refusing to accept the obvious. Out of pity, Ray was sent home with what was left of Elliot by the Army, to America. She attended the ceremony of honour for the fallen soldier, even getting a metal of her own for her bravery.
Elliot's now widowed wife, Sidney Nelson, took guardianship over Ray feeling like she owed it to him, and officially adopted Ray.