Chapter 15

Taylor

I knocked twice on the sturdy door before stepping back. The house seemed completely silent. Even the trees that bordered it were still. But I knew somebody was in there. I had sensed their presence right when I had looked at the house for the first time. More importantly, I knew exactly who was in there: my brother, Ethan Lysander.

After about five minutes, the door opened, revealing a very thin boy with dark hair. I did not even recognize him at first glance, but then as his lips moved to form words, I knew this was who I wanted to meet.

"Brother," he said in a voice as cold as ice. His face showed no emotion at all, but then that was pretty common for us. We rarely ever let our faces show our inner feelings.

"Ethan," I replied in an equally stiff voice. He had no idea what was coming. I had had it with his selfishness and carelessness.

"Why are you here?" His voice was deadly calm and each word was laced with contempt.

"I thought it was obvious why I'm here," I told him, pushing past him into his house. The inside of the house was not nearly the same as the outside. Inside, it was dark, smelly and stuffy. The hallway was plunged into darkness as soon as the door closed. But my eyes instantly adjusted to the darkness and I could make out little details about the place. The kitchen was off to the right and a small, flickering candle sat in an alcove outside it. The small living room was cramped with furniture and a torchlight burned feverishly in a corner.

"Acting more and more like a vampire now, aren't you?" I sneered. Ethan flinched but then squared his shoulders and snarled.

"Mind your attitude, big brother. I assume you want something from me?"

I crossed the living room and tool my time thinking of an answer. Plopping down on a worn grey couch, I said carefully.

"Ah, what makes you think that, little brother?"

Ethan gazed at me incredulously before answering, his voice tinged with arrogance, "Just the fact that you showed up at my doorstep, flirted with my...acquaintance and bothered to knock. Twice."

I stayed silent, knowing full well how much he was enjoying this. My patience was wearing down, but I decided to play nice just for a little while.

"Now all three of the latter do tend to make anyone suspicious about your intentions."

"You are not mistaken," I grunted. "In thinking that I have come because I want something from you."

"Well then, you should know that my answer will always be no." His eyes narrowed to slits and I could see he was getting angry. Good.

"Ah, but see there is something you're missing there, little brother," I smiled, stretching my legs a little which only seemed to annoy my brother more. "I won't take no for an answer."

Ethan stood up from the armchair he had been sitting in and drew his lips into a thin line. "Well then, it looks like you won't be pleased when I do say no."

"Why are you not helping me?" I asked. "Surely you would want to help your older brother."

"Yes, I would," he said smoothly. "But you are not my brother. Not anymore. Not after what you did."

And that was all it took. A moment later we were both at each other's throats, clawing at any bit of skin we could lay our hands on, punching every visible part of each other, never breaking eye contact.

I could already feel a bruise forming on my upper lip but I refused to let my little brother get the best of me. He punched, kicked and clawed, and I simply waited for him to grow exhausted.

I had known him long enough to know his weaknesses. He could go on attacking people for minutes on end but that would result in his own defenses weakening, and I was waiting for that moment. I was waiting for his defenses to shatter like a glass wall, leaving him exposed and vulnerable.

**************************

After about five minutes of continuous fighting, Ethan was sprawled on the opposite couch and I lay on the floor, motionless. I could feel blood oozing out of my nose but I chose to ignore it. It would heal on it's own anyway. My left leg hurt from all the kicking it had done, and my ribs seemed to be screaming in agony.

But I only needed to stay there on the floor a little while longer: just enough time to let my wounds heal. I knew I would heal quicker than Ethan. I always did.

Sure enough, a few seconds later, the skin above my lip seemed to be stretching and then gluing together somehow. I could feel the pain in my ribs deteriorating, but I knew they would take more time to mend. I could still move and fight if I wanted to though. But when Ethan opened his mouth, I decided to listen for the time being.

"Why did you have to do this, Taylor?" This time he sounded less cold and more...human. His voice sounded soft and quiet.

"D...do what?" I grunted from my spot on the floor.

"Leave us. Why did you abandon your own family Taylor? How could you not tell me you were planning on leaving?"

I gazed at Ethan from across the cramped living room. His right jaw was rapidly swelling and there was a deep gash above his left eyebrow, oozing blood. I watched as it trickled down the length of his face and then pooled below his chin. The sight was not pretty.

Then, for a second, I only saw my little brother, lying there on the couch in his helpless state. I saw the boy whom I had chased around the garden in our old family manor.

But I blinked and that boy was gone. Now all I saw was just another werewolf who had refused to help me, and whoever refused to help me got punished severely.

"Little brother," I spat out the words. "We are done."

********************************************

A/N

I'm so sorry for updating so late but it was because of my exams and now I promise the updates will be more regular. Anyways, I'm half asleep right now so I'll proofread this chapter tomorrow! So please vote and comment xD