four

The group stood at the top, looking down at the melting ice.

"We need to cross now!" Peter said.

"Don't beavers make dams?" Lucy asked.

"I'm not that fast, dear." Beaver said to her.

"Come on!" Peter yelled.

"Wait! Will you just think about this for a minute?" Susan stopped them.

"We don't have a minute!" Rose yelled at her.

"I'm just trying to be realistic." She said.

"No, you're trying to be smart. As usual." Rose said, "we don't need this right now."

Wolves howling caught their attention once more, "now we really should go!" The group rushed down the side of the cliff. Peter stepped onto it but quickly stepped back.

"Wait. Maybe I should go first." Beaver said.

"Maybe you should." Beaver stepped onto the ice and it cracked some more.

"You've been sneaking second helpings, have you?" Mrs. Beaver asked.

"Well, you never know which meal's gonna be your last." He replied, "especially with your cooking." The group cautiously and slowly stepped onto the melting ice.

"If mum knew what we were doing..." Susan stated.

"Mum's not here." Peter retorted.

"Oh, no!" Lucy called. They all looked up and saw the wolves. She felt the necklace heat up against her chest.

"Run!" Peter called out. The wolves climbed down and one took Beaver down. The necklace was now burning her chest.

Peter and Rose pulled out their swords, "put them down, kid." Maugrim said to them. "Someone could get hurt."

"Let him go!" Rose yelled to the wolf.

"Don't worry about me! Run him through!" Beaver yelled.

"Leave now while you can, and your brother leaves with you." Maugrim said.

"Stop, Peter! Stop, Rose! Maybe we should listen to him!" Susan yelled at her older siblings.

"Smart girl." He said condescendingly.

"Don't listen to him! Kill him! Kill him now!" Beaver yelled.

"Oh, come on. This isn't you war. All my queen wants is for you to take your family and go."

"Look, just because some man in a red coat hands you two a sword, it doesn't make you a hero! Just drop it!" Susan yelled.

"Shut up." Rose hissed darkly at her.

"No, Peter, Rose! Narnia needs you!" Beaver yelled. "Gut him while you still have a chance!"

"What's it gonna be, Son of Adam? I won't wait forever. And neither will the river." Maugrim said. Lucy looked up at the frozen waterfall.