Chapter 1: All Together

"I'd like to welcome everyone to the first-ever meeting of the Butt-kickers," U.S. Amy said with a smile.

"We are not calling ourselves that." Proscenium's voice was a deep rumble beneath his bulky bronzed armor, red curtain cape and frowning theater mask. He was an imposing figure, even when standing against the back wall of the Holiday Inn conference room Amy had rented for this occasion.

Amy had donned her full uniform, where her blue tights and American flag cape nicely complimented her long curly red hair. "Well," she said, "if the four of us are going to join forces and become a bona fide superhero crimefighting organization, I thought we should have a real attention-getting name. Something people would remember. Maybe it could be marketable, even."

"Is this why you've called us here?" Proscenium said. "You want to make money off of us?"

"No, no, no," Amy said. "The marketing would just be something to do on the side. I mean, wouldn't the kids love an action figure version of you?"

Sitting in the front of the room, Future Girl raised her hand.

"Maybe we should discuss something more important than what to call ourselves," she said. Still in her teens, Future Girl had long legs and long blonde hair. Amy thought her costume, a modified pink and yellow cheerleader's uniform with a long yellow cape, was to die for.

"I, um, agree," said Dreamsmith. "We should, uh, make a plan so we can, uh, work together for, you know, when a crisis, like, arises, or something."

Even among the four of them, Dreamsmith didn't fit in. Amy thought his top hat, black cape, and white scarf made him look more like a rumpled hotel doorman than a superhero.

"I don't know about the rest of you," Amy said, "but I don't yet have the resources for some elaborate command center where we can constantly monitor for world crisises."

"Crises," Future Girl said.

"Crises. I don't suppose any of you have a high-tech base we can establish as a headquarters?"

"No," Dreamsmith said.

"Not exactly," Future Girl said.

"I will not reveal such information," Proscenium said.

Amy tried not to feel disappointed. She knew her own one-bedroom apartment would never make a decent superhero hideout. "Do we all have cell phones, at least?"

"Yes," Future Girl said.

"No," Proscenium said.

"Yes, when the stupid thing works," Dreamsmith said.

Amy tried to think fast. "The idea here is that whenever there's a major crisis, we all contact one another, get together at the scene, and help out however we can. Basically, volunteers with powers. How does that sound?"

"What about being proactive?" Future Girl said. "You and I have both come across some kind of conspiracy. Whatever it is, it's really big, and it sounds really scary. How do we find out what it is?"

Amy shrugged. "Does anyone have any suggestions?"

Proscenium stood motionless in the corner.

Dreamsmith cleared his throat. "This all sounds like a nice idea, but my powers are really unpredictable. I could try to help and only end up complicating things. And I'm not always going to be able to fly around the world like you girls can."

"How did you get here today?" Future Girl asked.

Dreamsmith looked down at his lap. "I... know a guy. He's kind of like us. He could probably be the fifth one of us if he wanted."