Chapter 7.2: The Fine Print

"Fourteen million dollars," Todd said. "That's on one single check, straight into your wallet. From there, you'll also get percentage of the ticket sales, merchandise, home video, and TV airings. It's a small percentage, but, trust me, that's where the real money is."

"I don't believe it," Amy said, sitting in Todd's office a week later. "You actually did it? There's actually going to be a movie?"

"The studio's already moving ahead on pre-production. They've got a small army of artists and designers creating sets and costumes and storyboards. Agents representing screenwriters and directors from all over the industry have already contacted me, each one willing to drop whatever projects they're currently on in order to make the U.S. Amy movie."

Amy lost her cool. A happy squeal came out of her and she lightly tapped her feet on the floor.

"This is all preliminary, of course," Todd said. "But they're saying that every toy and other piece of merchandise can include a letter written by you, spreading your message about doing good for others to all the kids."

"That's perfect," Amy said. "That's exactly what I wanted."

"You see?" Todd said. "I've been on your side all this time."

Amy's mind raced. "What about the script? Because that's where the message..."

"You'll be involved in every phase of production. You're the star, and you get final word. Fourteen million dollars."

"Oh, my God," Amy said. "My whole life is about to change. Thank you so much."

Todd smiled. "And all you have to do is sign this contract."

He pulled open a drawer on his desk and removed a file containing about 30 pieces of paper, if not more. He placed it down flat against the desk and slid it over to her. She picked it up and flipped through it, seeing page after page of legal writing, in tiny type.

"I'm going to need to have someone go over this for me," she said. "Like a lawyer."

He shook his head. "There's no time. You have no idea how fickle these Hollywood types are. Strike when the iron is hot and all that. Once the contract is signed, though, they're bound to do the job. It's all about the contract with these people. They worship the contract."

"This is a lot of fine print," Amy said.

"Just standard clauses."

"Which are?"

"They want a signature as soon as possible. Sign it, I'll fax it to them, and then we can relax and go over the specifics."

"What am I, an idiot? What clauses?"

"You're an actress in a blockbuster action movie. Certain things are expected of you. First the studio is concerned about you not having a boyfriend."

"It's just a movie. Have auditions. Cast someone."

"Not in the movie. In real life. You've got to start dating someone high profile. Get your picture in the tabloids and celeb blogs."

"What? No way is that in a contract."

"We're asking the studios to make an enormous investment in you," Todd said. "You have to stay famous in between projects. If the public loses interest in you from now until the time the movie comes out, it'll flop. If anything, you've got to get more famous between now and then."

"That's beyond ridiculous."

"This is how Hollywood works, I'm afraid. Now, there are a couple of up-and-coming young guys who're getting too old to still play teenagers and they want to make the jump to features. Any one of them would make a great boyfriend for you."

"I'm not going to be used like this."

Todd shifted in his seat. "There's more."

Amy rolled her eyes. "Let me guess. They want me to show my boobs."

"Surprisingly, no. They've got to go PG-13 at most in order maximize profit. That means no nudity, no sex, and only one swear word allowed. The good news is that there can be as much hardcore violence as we want."

Amy decided to hold off on her usual, "It's not about fighting" argument and instead asked, "What else?"

Todd took a deep breath, and then said, "No more superhero stuff. No more rescues, no more flying around the city looking for trouble, and especially no more beating up criminals."

"You just said violence was the only thing allowed."

"On the screen. Not in real life."

"But being a superhero is who I am. I stop crime. I help people."

"As soon as you sign that contract, you're not a superhero anymore, you're a movie star. You create violence and gore on screen, and you're all about sex in your personal life – with the tabloid cameras rolling, of course. That's your life from now on."

"What about helping people?"

"Your message will be in the movie somewhere," he said. "It's simple enough not to offend the wrong people, so you have nothing to worry about."

Awkward silence. The sunset outside bathed Todd's office in an orange glow. He pulled a pen out of his jacket pocket and held it out to her.

"Just sign," he said. "It'll be two years of your life. Then you can get your fourteen million – and more – and after that, you can fly around beating people up all you want. Make this one sacrifice and the rest of your life will be perfect afterward. How about it?"

Amy stared at the pen in his hand, right in front of her face.

"This is ugly," Amy said. "This isn't me."

"No," Todd said, setting the pen down next to the contract. "This your financial freedom That's what U.S. Amy is supposed to be all about, right? Freedom?"

Amy took her eyes away from the pen and looked into Todd's eyes. They had a glassy, almost plastic appearance.

"I'm going to have to think about this," Amy said.

"They want a signature today. Otherwise, you can say goodbye to fourteen million dollars."

Amy picked up the pen. It felt light, barely there. She flipped through the contract to the last page, where there was a blank for her name.

"After the movie is done, I can go back to being a superhero?"

"Technically, yes."

"Technically?"

"After the movie, you might not want to be a superhero anymore. Over the next two years, you're bound to mature. You'll outgrow this superhero phase and finally grow up, and become the star you've always meant to be."

Amy closed her eyes and then opened them again, staring straight down at the paper.

"There's a big difference between a hero and a movie star," she said.

She set the pen down.

"I'm not signing this. This just isn't going to work anymore. I think maybe it's time I found someone else to represent me."

Todd stood up and calmly said, "The Temple was right about you.You're a sinner, and you will pay for your sins."

# # # # 

Next: Brace yourself.