Chapter 14: Origin Story, part 5

After leaving the cave entrance, Amy sees the sky is a brilliant blue, and the sand finally looks like sand, golden and soft, and not brown and harsh like dirt. This is the beauty of the desert, which she initially came to see.

"Welcome," Lev says, waiting for her. "So glad to see you up and about."

Lev has promised to take her outside for some fresh air. Several days have passed, with Amy slowly healing from her ordeal in the desert. Lev befriended her during this time, the only one of the Warrior-Shamans to speak directly to her. Thanks to his kindness, Amy never once felt like a prisoner, but in good care. He explained that the Warrior-Shamans were made up of men from all beliefs and cultures, come together in the desert to explore new ways of viewing and even shaping reality.

Lev leads Amy across the desert floor until Amy spots a massive red boulder jutting out of the ground.

"Where was that when I was alone?" she says. "That shade would have made such a difference during the middle of the day when the sun was..."

"Think fast," Lev says, making a motion with his hand.

The boulder bursts out of the ground, spewing sand out from all around it. It blasts through the air right at Amy, faster than she can duck to the side. All she can do to react is hold her arms up in front of her face.

The boulder hits her body and then cracks, breaking up into dozens of smaller rocks. The impact barely presses against Amy's arms.

She sees the smashed pieces of the boulder now spread out on the sand all around her, and there's not even a scratch or a bruise on her. 

Lev smiles. "You're a new person. Your physical strength is beyond human understanding."

"I don't believe it," she says.

"Just wait until you fly for the first time."

"Fly?"

"Transforming you was the only way we could save your life. It is our gift to you. Make it your own. Use it smartly. Use it well."

* * * *

Amy's cell phone rang, drawing her out of her daydream remembrances and bringing her back to the present, flying over Boston.

"This is U.S. Amy," she said into the phone.

"Call another meeting."

"Proscenium? Is that you? I thought I'd never..."

"Call another meeting. All four of us. We have much to discuss."

Amy couldn't help but smile. "You got it."  

# # # # 

END OF CHAPTER 14. 

# # # # 

Next: Major crazy conspiracy.