Chapter 5: Mr. Always-Blue

Brrringggg

The last bell finally sounded, signalling the end of Spongebob's overwhelming week of school.

The blonde boy collected all of his belongings into his bag with a distracted mind. He had just had one of his favourite lessons of the day, History , and his head was buzzing with shoguns and emperors.

"-uarepants?" Almost missing it, he was snapped into reality at the mention of his name, called by his teacher, Mr.P. "Care to have a quick chat?" The man smiled warmly as he waved Spongebob over.

Hesitantly, Spongebob made his way to the peculiar teacher's desk. Spongebob eyed him wearily, unsure of what to expect. This was the first time he was called to his desk.

Mr.P was an eccentric man, to say the least. Spongebob guessed he was only roughly 4'11, making Spongebob tower significantly over him. He had an eyepatch on and thin, neon greenish hair that mainly stuck out in two long strands upwards. The one eye that was showing was a unique ember-gold colour, situated below a very hairy and slanted black brow. It didn't take long for Spongebob to realise the P in his name probably stood for "pirate". Jesus. Needless to say his physical appearance made Spongebob feel more than anxious.

"Don't worry young man, you're not in trouble," The older man chuckled deeply, sensing Spongebob's discomfort. "How do you like the school so far?"

"It's pretty cool." Spongebob flashed a smile he often used which never failed to charm anyone and nodded his head.

"Ah, that's really good! I always check up on new students which I think have potential," he waved a hand up and down, indicating Spongebob.

Potential? what is he talking about?, Spongebob thought bitterly, can I just get out of here right now?

His eyes landed on the classroom clock. He's been here for 10 minutes already. He groaned internally and thought...

Crap, Squidward probably left me...

He recalled on Wednesday when the taller male had left him. He was only 10 minutes late too since Patrick would not stop taking selfies with him. When he was finally out he  barely caught Squidward walking away at an annoyingly fast pace.

So far, Spongebob would describe walking to and from school with Squidward as tension-filled, painfully awkward and boring. The 30 minutes each walk was always silent and Spongebob can't really stand the quiet, especially when he's with someone who's fully capable of talking to him.

"What do you mean sir?" He asked.

"Why, potential to join my after school class program of course! I only gather the brightest, most motivated students in my classes. What do you say?" The teacher asked with an excited glint in his exposed ember coloured eye.

Rubbing the back of his neck, Spongebob felt his cheeks heat up. Only the brightest and most motivated?

'I've only been here a week and this is my first full conversation with him, he doesn't even know me. Kinda flattered he thinks that of me though'
Spongebob thought.

"I'll think about it sir. I've got to go now, but thanks for the offer." Spongebob replied, smiling wide.

The man in front of him nodded. "I'll be eagerly awaiting your acceptance, mr... Squarepants."

Spongebob thought he caught a glimpse of something he couldn't pinpoint flashing in his teacher's eye for a second. But just as soon as it came, it was gone. It was probably his mind playing tricks on him.

Nodding back curtly, Spongebob finally exited the class. He pulled out his phone to check the time and cursed loudly to himself. His voice boomed in the deserted hallway. He was nearly 30 minutes late!