seventeen

elizabeth:

this is really it.

grayson helps me unload my luggage from the top compartment, and i really see our height difference. i'm a shrimp next to him, even though i'm average height.

"last bag," he breathes out, and pats the overhead storage.

"thank you, really."

he locks eyes with me and swallows almost nervously. "don't mention it."

and i won't.
ever again.

i can't help but be sad, but i'm excited that i can start over, clean slate, no recollection that i ever lived in jersey or even in america.

the line off the plane is slow, and i can feel grayson breathing down my back behind me. the flight attendants say goodbye and i give them a small wave, while grayson shakes their hands. whatta gentleman, ladies.

my eyes feel heavy from lack of sleep, but something inside me just can't be more alive.

stepping into the long tunnel like hallway to get out of the gate makes me feel like i step with purpose.
i'm starting over.

the walk is long and filled with silence to get to the open airport. when we finally emerge, i see people spotting their relatives and friends waiting to pick them up. not having that, my eyes flick to the baggage claim. i have my carry-on and small luggage, i just need my biggest suitcase.

ready to never turn around ever again, something catches my elbow before i can storm off.

"hey," grayson's ever so soft voice says, "stay a minute."

i turn around. "right. the jacket, sorry. thanks for letting me borrow it." i start to take my arms out of the sleeves when he stops me.

"keep it."

my eyes boggle. "huh?"

"keep it," he laughs quietly. "for... a memory."

i nod with a slight smile. "for a memory."

we walk to baggage claim together, and i ask him where ethan is.

"i haven't texted him that i've gotten out of the gate yet. i'll find him, don't worry about me."

i scoff. "i'm not. i just... am curious."

he side eyes me with a funny look, a smile teasing his lips. finally, we stand in front of the conveyer belt like system and wait for our luggage to come around.

"if i see you again-"

i wince. "grayson, stop."

"listen." he emphasizes, and i do. "if i ever see you again, promise to not run off and act like you don't remember me?"

i smile. "who says i'll remember you?"

"how could you forget?"

i realize he's completely, utterly correct. how could i forget the guy who single handedly made me question it all?

i spot my familiar greenish-gray suitcase and grayson helps me lug it off the belt. he pats it once it's set on the ground, and looks back into my eyes.

i'll miss his hazel ones.

"promise me to stay out of trouble?" he asks.

"i can't promise you anything," i chuckle.

"and why's that?"

"because," i state, forcing the words out of my mouth. "as soon as we're out of here, we're strangers who met on an airplane."

grayson's bright, happy face falters a bit, then returns. "strangers."

"thank you," i say. "for giving me the best 17 hours of..."

"your life?" he tries, voice hopeful.

"my... decade." i decide, figuring its enough.

we stare at each other for a moment more, then i reach out for a handshake. at the same time he reaches for a hug.

we flip back and forth awkwardly between a handshake and a hug, but finally i just duck under his arms and press my body against his. i can feel his hardened stomach under his sweatshirt, and muscular arms wrap around me protectively, almost.
he rocks back and forth slightly, and part of me wants to stay for awhile, and the other part wants me to get the hell out of here.

i swear i feel him slip something into my pocket, but i immediately push the thought out of my head.

"so," i say, pulling away. "this is... where i leave you."

"bye, elizabeth."

i tilt my head, pondering with a thought, bouncing the idea around in my head like a mini ping pong ball match.

"call me lizzy."