01

Chris scrunched her eyebrows in concentration as she played with the delicacy inside her mouth with her tongue

Chris scrunched her eyebrows in concentration as she played with the delicacy inside her mouth with her tongue. The man in front of her stared at her with nervous eyes, watching her reaction.

Bowing her head, she nodded a little, approving the taste.

"Ahh, thank God," the man - the head chef - exclaimed after puffing out his breath, "If you didn't like it, I was going to throw a fit. I put my everything into that dessert, Chris."

She laughed, "I would like to think you put your everything into all that you make, chef, but that was delicious. I think it's ready for our menu."

"If only we were back home. It would be a bestseller."

Her smile fell when he said that, shoulders drooping to match, "It's okay, we're making magic in this little corner of the world, that's what we're about, isn't it?"

Fake it until you make it. That's what she would always tell herself. She couldn't let her employees see how sullen she was over the fact that she was still there. She couldn't let them lose their spirits because of her.

"Hey, Manager?" someone called for her through her in-ear piece.

"Yeah?"

"We have a situation at reception."

Her sigh now was heavy. She loved her job to bits, but there was always a downside of every job. Having to deal with angry customers - that was it.

She made her way to the reception in no time, finding a lady standing at the desk, showing her phone screen to the employee behind the table. Taking in a deep breath, she walked up to the scene.

"Hi ma'am, I'm the general manager here, what seems to be the problem?"

"I have to cut my trip short by two days, and your employee here isn't giving me a refund," she stuck her index finger at the receptionist, "I want my refund, now."

"Sorry ma'am, we do not give out refunds forty-eight hours before your booking, we need at least two days notice."

"What kind of service is this? Haven't you heard; the customer is always right? I need my refund before I leave, I'm not going without it."

"I'm really sorry I won't be able to process that refund for you as it is against our policy and also written in our terms and conditions. You can leave whenever you like, but I recommend staying the extra two days as per your original plan."

"Do you know who I am?" the vein on the side of her forehead was starting to show, and Chris was getting tired at this point.

"No, I'm sorry-"

"I'm the wife of Kim Group's president!" she was so furious it was almost laughable, "You better treat me with respect!"

If she was that rich, why was she so mad about a small refund?