16

"Jungkook, I said I'm okay," Hoseok's tired voice wafted from underneath the bathroom door

"And I said, I didn't ask," Jungkook had replied, continuing to make breakfast for his huyng.

"Besides, I have nothing to do today, anyway."

"Didn't you say you were arranging flowers for tomorrow's ball, Jungkook?" Hoseok appeared in the kitchen, wiping his neck with a small towel, "Have I told you I'm so proud of you for that, by the way? It's your first time doing such a big project on your own."

"You have, hyung," he sighed, "I mean, I wouldn't have had the chance to if Chr- Oh uhm..." Jungkook's eyes widened when he realised he had had a slip of the tongue, and he scanned the room to find something to use to change the subject. "Did your mom get that from a patient?"

"Jungkook what were you saying about Chris?"

"It's a really nice vase," he commented again, eyes trained to the new addition on their dining table.

"Jeon Jungkook," Hoseok's tone grew a few octaves lower, and he took this as his cue to head for the door.

"Hyung I should probably get going, please eat. I think Jimin hyung will come over in a few, so just have a lookout."

"Jungkook, can you get back here-" but before Hoseok could get anything else out of his friend, Jungkook had picked up his car keys and sprinted out the door. Staring at the back of it, Hoseok tried to shove that memory away. Much like he had been trying to push every instance he'd spent with Chris over the summer to the back of his mind.

But God knew that was impossible. He had fallen in love with the woman she was, from day one. And every day he had continued to fall deeper.

He had this (annoying) habit of continually remembering how she would twitch her nose when she smelt lavender or rose when he walked through his home. Or when she would play with the hem of her shirt whenever he complimented her, folding it into different shapes. And when her cheeks would burn a beautiful tint of strawberry when he would open her car door.

None of those memories seemed to leave him alone.

His mind transported him back to the beginning of their friendship, back when he had shared his story, back to when he had decided to trust her enough to tell him about his family's situation.

Was it then that she had begun this plan? Perhaps she was so sure he would want to sell his land if it meant he could save his father.

Sighing, he started to play with the food on his plate; She wasn't wrong.

Jimin had arrived around lunchtime, a bright grin plastered across his face and bags of takeaway in his hands.

"You guys really don't have to baby me around the clock, you know," Hoseok had said as they walked into his home, "I'm okay, really."

"Wow I come all the way here on my lunch break to visit my best friend, and he doesn't even want me here."