Ch. 7: The Best Friend

Katie's POV

Sleep seemed impossible to me now.

I tried my best once we got home from the hospital last night, but I just kept tossing and turning, only getting a couple hours in. Once I saw the sun come up, I gave up trying and headed downstairs.

"Hey hun, how are you doing this morning?" My mom asked. I didn't know I was capable of any more tears, but the question sent me back over the edge.

"Mom, I don't know what to do. I was just getting over the fears of losing my best friend" I sobbed and started feeling breathless like the morning of my failed SAT attempt. Only this time, I didn't have Alexa to calm me down.

My mom pulled us to the couch and held me, doing her best to be there for me. It was hard, and it definitely took a lot longer, but eventually I calmed down a bit and we just stayed there as I sniffled. Jack came down some time during all of this and solemnly sat with us and turned on some tv as a distraction. For some reason Jack's presence made it hit even more as he was rarely ever this quiet and upset.

"Hey Mom?" Jack finally broke the silence.

"Yea hun?"

"When can we visit Alexa?" he said innocently.

"Oh, I don't know Jack. We'll have to ask Lori. I'm sure she needs rest and they won't want any extra risk of germs" she said honestly.

"Maybe I can go over and pack Alexa's stuff. She'll probably be in the hospital for a while like last time and will want to be comfortable" I suggested.

"Maybe. I still think it might be a good idea to check with Lori. I know we all want to help, but it's a really tough time for the family and we have to be mindful of that. But you know what, it might be a good idea to go check in with Lucas, he's probably feeling pretty lonely and upset right now" Mom suggested.

"Yeah, you're right. I think I'll head over there now" I replied, standing up and slipping on a pair of shoes by the front door.

I walked through the connecting kitchen doors to the Mendoza house, immediately noticing two figures sniffling on the couch. I've known Alexa, and really the whole family, for a long time, and I have never seen Lucas let his hair get into such a mess. All I could see was his mess of curls covering his head, his hands covering the rest of his face. Next to him was Dylan, still home on break for the summer, who looked back at me with equally puffy eyes.

"Hey guys. I'm guessing Lucas filled you in on the news then Dylan" I broke the silence that seemed to follow Alexa's diagnosis everywhere. Dylan just nodded solemnly.

"Lori just called a bit ago. She's coming to pack up some stuff for Alexa" Dylan shared, still patting Lucas every now and then. He still hadn't looked up.

"Oh. Okay. Maybe I could start sorting through some stuff. I know she'll want to clean it, but at least I can pick stuff Alexa will probably want" I suggested. I think it's just how I cope, I just have to keep the wheels moving so I don't break down again. Alexa is the only one that can really help me through that, but I need to be there for her this time. So I picked myself up off that couch, patted Lucas on the shoulder, and headed up towards the steps.

"Katie" I heard Lucas say in the softest voice.

I turned back around to see he finally picked his head up. He looked so defeated and sadness just poured out of his puffy eyes and disheveled look.

"Yea?"

"Thank you. Alexa is so lucky to have a friend like her to get her through" he said. I have never heard Lucas speak so seriously and it broke tears back to my eyes.

"Of course" I spoke quickly before running off up the stairs before I started crying again.

I started to fold up her comforter and laid out a good assortment of warm, comfy clothes and a few more of Alexa's favorite belongings for sanitizing. I also pulled out a bag that would fit everything.

But the whole time, I just thought about how scared Alexa must be. And how Lucas was wrong. The truth is, it's me that's lucky to have Alexa.

I don't know what I'd do without her.