➳ ELEVEN

不可思
(bù kě sī yì)
something that is noteworthy or amazing in an unexpected way

YVETTE FELT AN INKLING OF FEAR CREEP UP HER SPINE. Three had just dropped them off at the port before driving off, and they were making their way to the boats. She was walking behind One and Five who were lugging a large crate when she heard Three's voice come from the walkie-talkie.

     "Why is it always me that has to do this kind of shit, man?"

     One roughly let go of his side of the crate without warning, and Yvette yelped when she tripped over it, rolling on the ground to ease her fall. She hissed in annoyance, getting to her feet and stalking to where One stood. "Hey, dickhead," she started through gritted teeth.

     One raised a hand to stop her as he snarled at the walkie-talkie, "Hey, Chatty Cathy. Do you know what over and out means?"

     "I'm a little afraid," Three protested. "What do you want me to say?"

     "Conversation's over. Capisce?"

     "There's a lot of bad guys, and I'm the only good guy here. Move!" Three shouted at passing civilians. "If I die, just tell my mother that I love her."

     "Come on," One said, nudging along a still-glaring Yvette who was nursing a scrape on her elbow. "Over and out!" he shouted at the walkie-talkie before tossing it at the sea.

     "This isn't over," Yvette growled as she hopped onto the boat.

     "Yeah, yeah," One said with an impatient wave of his hand.

"Zero, come here," Four called out to her, holding up a Kevlar vest for her.

Her lips tugged upward as she approached him with her hands on her hips. "It's harder to move in those, maybe we can vote against me wearing it?"

He sent her a grin, barking out a laugh as he slipped it through her arms and secured it around her chest. "No way in hell am I risking you getting shot, sweetheart." He locked the vest in place, spinning her back around so she's face to face with him. "You can be an immortal person for all I care, I'll still make you wear the vest."

Yvette couldn't stop the warmth from exploding in her chest as her stomach twisted delightfully at that. She pecked him on the cheek before reaching over to pass him the oxygen task. "You better air up."

Four chuckled deeply, taking it from her as he wandered over to where his green wet suit lay. "Looks like I'll have to go underwater again."

Yvette made to approach One, sending him a wink over her shoulder. "Don't hold your breath for me, babe."

Four grinned wider at her.

"Think you got a surprise suit for me?" One asked, strapping his own Kevlar vest over his chest.

"Nope," Yvette said, pointing to her black attire. "I damaged my own when I get shot."

"Wanna make new ones for the team?"

"Nope."

One made a face at her. "Brat."

She grinned cheekily, slinging an arm over his neck. "You love me."

"Oh, okay, papi," came Three's voice through the static of their earpieces. "They have fighter jets. They have fighter jets, man."

"Is this gonna work?" Five asked as One fidgeted over the buttons on the large, yellow artifice that would help his neat magnetizing trick.

"Well . . . ," One trailed off with a shit-eating grin. "I hope so. We better hurry."