Chapter Nineteen

There was no doubt about it. Every kiss, every touch, every lingering stare made my stomach all oozy and my mind all woozy from all things Sabrina. It didn't help my growing feelings when she helped make it up to Anna by helping with my prom proposal. It surged the crush to take up a more permanent residence in my heart, my brain and everywhere that was capable of emotions. 

The only time when my thoughts were somewhat clear was at night in the solitude of my bedroom. So there I was in my bedroom, learning off flashcards, parading back and forth in my bedroom and tossing the cards onto the bed - only to collect them when I realised that I'd learned nothing. All the while, I should've had been asleep.

Studying was put aside in favour of sellotaping cut out pieces of flashcards to form the shape of a crown - one that was multi-coloured and barely held together. I placed it on top of my head, remaining sat in the middle of the bed, looking around for something else to do to pass the time. It turns out; I didn't have to search long.

Outside my window, Sabrina was in the bedroom opposite mine, opening her window and motioning for me to do the same.

It looked like my Sabrina free and clear-minded time was about to be demolished, and I didn't find myself being all that disappointed.

Opening the window allowed a cold breeze to circulate inside my room. I crossed my arms, holding back a shiver and asked, "Sabrina, shouldn't you be asleep?"

Sabrina leaned her elbows against the windowsill and rested her chin on the palms of her hands. "And miss all the fun you're clearly having?"

"Oh, you mean this?" I cleared my throat as I took the make-do crown off my head and presented it forward so she could have a proper look. "You know me, arts and crafts are kind of my thing."

"Is this what you do at night? Dress up in crowns, secretly wishing you were royalty? Or . . . maybe something else closer to reach?"

"You mean prom queen?"

"If that's where your mind went . . ."

"Threatened?" I asked jokingly.

"No." She flicked her gaze up to the crown and back to my face. "It looks good on you."

"Got to get into the mindset of someone at the prom," I explained and placed the crown back onto my head. "Someone that loves the idea of prom. What do they imagine when they head inside the gym? What's hanging on the ceilings? What's behind them as the photographer takes a picture? How many hearts is too many hearts? I never imagined prom before, and now it's all I can think about."

"A good place to brainstorm is in the shower, you know," Sabrina said casually and cocked an eyebrow.

"You just like the idea of me being naked," I joked.

"Speaking of, that gives me an idea. Meet me by the fence, where the hammock is."

"Sabrina?"

"You want to brainstorm, don't you?"

"Well . . . Yes?"

"Then trust me. Let me show you something I do sometimes when I need to think."

"Outside? Sounds ominous. You're not planning to murder me because I dared to wear a fake crown, are you? Drowning would be a pretty sucky way to die. Don't you think?"

"Sam. Let me help you. Oh, and bring the crown."

My eyebrows raised as she shut her window and spun around out of view. Trust her? Did I? There was this . . . naughty sparkle in her eye and a mischievous smile that played on her lips. She clearly wasn't aiming to be trustworthy. Even though I'd no clue what was going through her mind, I intended to find out.