Chapter Twenty-Two

There were a few things that I was expecting when returning to the Jenkins' household after Sabrina and mine's shopping spree. One, Anna trying to steal the shopping bags to take a peek at our prom dresses and two, Sabrina snidely gloating over the pictures she'd sent her sister earlier and Anna pretending to vomit or something in response. Fun and playful things.

But what happened when we walked through the front door was none of those things. As soon as the door shut, Anna jumped down the stairs, barely refraining from toppling down to her doom, her only saving grace being the hand railing and pure dumb luck.

She didn't bother greeting us or acknowledging her sister before leading me up into her bedroom and slamming the door shut.

She put her eye up to the keyhole of the door and when satisfied, turned to me with wild eyes.

Her lack of composure led me to open her closet door and sit inside. She said nothing as I got myself comfortable, getting one of her fluffy sweatshirts to stroke. She couldn't be mad at me again, could she? What could I have had possibly done to disrupt the peace we'd only come back to? Anna knelt in front of me and gripped her phone so tight that her knuckles were white. Oh boy. This was bad.

"What's going on?" I asked.

"Sam, hand me your phone." I did as I was told and placed the device into the palm of her hand. In under thirty seconds she apparently found what she was looking for and tossed it back to me. "The thing is, Sam, don't freak out, but you didn't only send those pictures of you numbnuts kissing and strangling each other to me. You sent it to someone else. Someone else you really shouldn't have."

"Oh shit."

"Yeah. That's an understatement."

"Who?"

"Think of the worst person to tell anything to."

Shit. ". . . Maisie?"

Anna ran a hand through her hair while nodding. "The one and only."

"Well, we're friends, I can loop her in. It's all good. No need to panic."

"It's too late for that, Sam, she's been subtweeting you guys for the last hour. There's a need for panic. Major panic."

"Double shit."

"You should call her to take down the tweets. If anyone thinks about it too much, they'll be able to figure it out. Everyone will know that Sabrina and Parker have been pretending!"

"But why is Maisie subtweeting about it? How does it affect her?"

"I don't know. You're her friend. Call her."

"I hate calling people or getting calls."

"No offence . . ."

"I know, who gives a shit about my comfort when this could ruin Sabrina's campaign."

Anna was right. Somehow, I'd responded to both Anna and Maisie. Whereas Anna responded with barfing emojis, Maisie had left me on read, allowing her receipt to go under the radar.

I reluctantly pressed the dial button and put the phone up to my ear as it rang out. Anna finally settled onto the ground, sitting across the entrance to the closet so that I was trapped inside with no option to escape. With my track record of running, as of late, I didn't blame her one bit for ensuring that my body remained put.

It rang and rang and rang until abruptly ending.

It didn't ring out the second time I dialled.

Damn it.