insecure •1• [EDITED]

[EDIT - JAN 17th 2020] 

I've fixed all the grammatical errors and punctuation errors and made the thing make more sense (I changed some stuff to make it more readable but it's basically the same).

I only added a few more sentences after they sit down for lunch.

-

I was close with the Serpent Pillar, just as much as I was with the Flame Pillar- I knew Kyojuro since he was born, albeit I was a year older, my parents and his were close friends so it was only natural to be their sons' friends.

Eventually, there was a new addition-a frail and pale male staggered behind Kyojuro's father as he announced "Well, uh, he followed me here, his name is Obanai Iguro. Take care of him, he had it rough".

Kyojuro immediately jumped and introduced himself ever so brightly and took Obanai's hand and dragged him to the other members of the family and me.

His jet black hair rested behind him as he slowly raised his head up to meet my eyes with his and whispered the most gentle 'thank you' I had ever heard.

Ever since the three of us were always together.

We grew older together into the adults we were- into the demon slayers we became.

Kyojuro, a bright and seemingly naive (but not really) individual, his flames can't even compete with his smile.

The cynical and harsh Obanai with his shy side making his own derivative of the breath of Water- the breath of Serpent.

And myself - I was almost the in-between of their personalities, kind but not one to trust everyone.

I was a breath of Water user, and also the one who helped Obanai to learn the basics- after all, the breath of water is the easier ones to learn.

He eventually made it its own.

But of course, I fell in love- with Obanai nonetheless!

I wasn't too obvious with my feelings as I was never sure about them after all platonic feelings could be easily misunderstood with romantic ones.

However, the way my heart raced, the way my eyes always find him, the way my cheeks redden with him were definitely not platonic.

And obviously, somehow, Kyojuro noticed.

He always puts the two of us together in any chance he gets with the most innocent sly smile of all time.

However, it was also Kyojuro who made me realise that, Obanai too, would easily fall in love with someone else if I didn't hurry.

One spring day, he called me and Obanai to meet his new underling- a female, a bit younger than us, with unnatural strength.

Oh, the way his eyes widened, the way his cheeks flushed, the way he was speechless as we meet her, she was undeniably beautiful.

Taking a glance at him, I recognised all of those signs in a second- 'love at first sight'. My eyes shot open wide as I stared in disbelief at the male that stood beside me.

Her name was Mitsuri Kanroji.

Despite the disastrous clash, we easily became friends with her- sharing a lot of interests with her, especially with our love of cats.

As sweet as she ever was, she was also obnoxiously oblivious to Obanai's feelings. In fact, it seemed like she had a thing for Kyojuro, she always asked me about him.

And then, it happened.

Out of nowhere, his whole world crashed down with three words- "We're dating!" they beamed, their energy in unison as they smiled brightly at us shoving their promising future on us.

Disregarding his own pain, he didn't complain, if she was happy, he would be too and, instead, he just turned around and began to walk back, pretending to be his usual self he said: "Congratulations, I have work to do so I'll leave early."

His comment brought me back to reality and I quickly held Mitsuri's hands with my own.

"I'm so happy for the two of you! I hope the best for both of you! But, uh, I too have work so I gotta catch up with Obanai!" you exclaimed.

They both pouted at my comment. "Well," Mitsuri started, glancing at Kyojuro as she continued, "Kyo and I didn't get a chance to say bye to Iguro-San, would you mind saying that form us? ".

"Of course not! See you two later!" you said and soon ran towards Obanai.

He noticed your fast footsteps and stopped in his tracks to wait for you, "What are you doing?" he questioned.

You looked at his eyes, they were a bit red- 'was he crying?'.

Grabbing his hand quite forcefully, I claimed "Let's have lunch! Together! It's on me!", it wasn't even a question.

"Huh? (Y/N) -! Wait! (Y/N) ??!" he gasped out as he was being dragged by me, unable to force himself out of my grip.

--

Purposefully, upon entering the restaurant, I chose seats at the back of them, making sure that Obanai would sit with his back towards everyone else.

We ordered the food and it came within a few minutes- neither of us really spoke- we sat in silence as the waiter placed the bowls of ramen on our table "Enjoy your food!" she said, "Thank you" we both replied.

I took out a face mask out of my pocket- it was white and it had loops to go around one's ear, "Obanai, this is for you" I said and put out my hand towards him.

 He gave me a puzzled look.

"How are you gonna eat without taking your bandages off, huh? Just wear this down, and if someone comes you'll just pull it up. Easy, right?" I explained myself as I placed the mask next to his bowl.

Both Kyojuro and I knew what he looked like under that mask, and we both know how insecure he is about it- we accidentally saw him like that after the bandages got a bit loose when we were all younger after a game or two- he was extremely ashamed and visibly distressed so we never pressed on his story, it would only hurt him more. Even though we know, he is still reluctant to show us.

"So..?? Are you gonna wear it?" I asked, raising my eyebrow in the process.

"Ah, y-yeah... thanks.." he said as he slowly gently undid the bandages over his mouth. As they fell over his shoulders he quickly gave me a shy glance but averted his eyes soon after and looked at the face mask and picked it. 

He put the loops around his ears and the mask under his chin, his scar, fully visible to me.

I didn't waste a second to start eating, in no way i wanted to make him feel more uncomfortable than he already would have been, "Hmm! It's delicious isn't it!?" I said but got no reply 'Of course, he still got heartbroken..'.

"Um.. (Y/N)..?" He began.

"Yeah?"

"Thank you, for everything." 

I was dumbfounded, why was he thanking me?

"Obanai, you know, about Mitsuri..I-" was it really okay for me to say this? I already started but I was having second thoughts, I peered at him- he had stopped eating and was already hooked on my line.

"Neeevermind!" I giggled it off awkwardly.

"..?? What??" Obanai spoke. 

--

I wrote this at like 2am till 3am so it's kind of unreadable