insecure •3•

Obanai looked as if he had been just struck by a sword- his face, contorted into a heartbreak and yet, in a heartbeat he was able to return to his usual self, while I just... stood there.

What can I do in this situation?

With her braids flying behind her, Mitsuri ran towards us with a gleeful smile and Kyojuro followed while laughing, a warm blush flushed on his cheeks as he warmly glanced at his new girlfriend.

Her soft fingers grabbed mine, the residual heat from the previous hand holding carried over to my own.

The warmth was almost overwhelming.

"Won't you two join us for lunch! It's on us! You know...to celebrate our union.." she exclaimed while fiddling with her fingers with mine. Was she embarrassed to ask us...or is there an ulterior motive to it all? Regardless of it all, I wore my best to smile and turned her down.

"Mitsuri-chan..Kyojuro..I hope you have a nice lunch but me and Obanai actually just finished eating."

Her grip on my hands loosened, her face was flushed with a warm pink in surprise- disappointment would be an understatement- perhaps, she wasn't expecting us to decline her offer since we're so close.

"Oh- t-that's unfortunate... We should've come here sooner..." she murmured with her head low.

Obanai shot me an annoyed glance when he noticed the pink-haired girl's saddened face, as if he was screaming 'What are you saying?' at me.

"Ahahaha! It's fine (Y/N), Obanai! There's always next time." Kyojuro reassured her.

"Any particular reason you needed to invite us..? If so, you could've said it before." Obanai stated, harshly (I also pretended to not see him eyeing me daggers), but there was an undertone of desperation and rush. Desperation for what- for them to leave? For them to break off?

Just...what are your eyes pleading for Obanai?

"Well, we wouldn't want to waste your time any longer! Go on, enjoy your lunch together!" I said, returning Mitsuri's warm clasp on my hands.

"Yeah! We will see you two later!" She rejoiced, returning to Kyojuro's side.

The two of them giggled as they walked off, however, Kyojuro turned his head towards me and gave me a wink and a thumbs up- 'You got this!'.

Normally, I'd laugh it off or tell him off for teasing me, but I couldn't muster the courage nor energy to do either of them, afterall, how could I- knowing my dear childhood friend next to me was in pain?

"Are we done here?" Obanai blurted out as he petted Kaburamaru's head, who was tangled around his neck.

"Do you need to do something?" I asked.

He scoffed, raising an eyebrow, "Do I need to remind you how you dragged me here to have lunch when I clearly said I had work to do?".

Eh? That wasn't a lie?

"Lie...?" he said narrowing his eyebrows, leaving the both of us confused.

As the realisation sunk over me, I yelped. I placed my fingers over my mouth, 'I said that out loud' I thought.

Obanai sighed and turned around, "You're acting weird today. Don't you dare follow me".

"Obanai you think that works on me?" I retorted and sighed back at him, "So, what work? I can help you, you know that right?".

Of course he knows, but would he be willing to tell me?

He hesitantly replied, choosing his words carefully as if he didn't think of a reply beforehand to my question, "...I have to go..home. It's...Kaburamaru's free day if you will- stays home and does whatever he wants to. I've already taken up so much of his day out today so I'd rather not stay any longer".

I bat my eyes at him- lying on the spot has never been his forte despite what he gives off, but this? This is absolutely ridiculous!! There is no way he'd have a Kaburamaru day without telling both and me and Kyo!

"Huh. Is that so..." I say, my tone clearly sarcastic. Obanai gets the hint but doesn't press, probably not to make the situation worse.

But, regardless, he wants some time alone and I understand that.

"Fine. You do you I guess" I said as I delicately pat the white snake's head, "Kaburamaru how prestigious of you to have a whole day to yourself! Consider yourself lucky".

"I'll see you tomorrow then Obanai. Have a nice day!"

"Don't." He says as he walks away.

A sudden weight falls off my shoulders as he's nowhere to be seen in my vision.

I sigh and trail off to my thoughts.

'Okay so, I'll definitely come by to see him later today with some food for Kaburamaru so I don't look suspicious, but what would I do in his house? Console him? Confess? ...No no, that's a bad idea, he's already emotionally distraught and confused..'

As I mindlessly walked around, nothing good came out of my head.

'I guess, I'll just do whatever seems best in that situation'

Looking at every animal store possible to find food for the small snake, time flew by quickly and it was already night time, so, I started running in the direction of Obanai's temple. 

His temple is quite plain compared to the other hashiras, but his has the most extensive and beautiful garden of them all. A true paradise for our beloved Kaburamaru.

'I didn't realise it was this late! He's probably not asleep so it's fine but still!!'

I stopped.

'Is he even going to let me in?'

---

It's 1:30am as I'm posting this. Please ignore any mistakes.

I'm posting this from by phone (not the app) so there may be missing italics. I apologise for that.