3 Years Peace - Ember

*Merlin's POV*

Arthur and some of his Knights; Elyan, Gwaine, Percival and Leon, were out on a hunt. As usual, they dragged me along. Arthur had told some of us to set up camp.

"Gwaine, Percival," he said, drawing his sword, "With me."

The three of them left, and Leon told me to get some fire wood.

I'd just got back, my arms aching, when Gwaine came running back...

"Merlin, come with me. NOW!"

I followed him a short way, then we stopped by a tree. I looked down and saw an all-too-familiar girl collapsed there, hurt. It was Ember. My twin sister. She had the same pale skin as I did. Even the same eyes, and black hair. But her hair was long and plaited, trailing behind her.

"No..." I said, tears in my eyes.

"What?" Arthur said.

"Do you know her?" Gwaine was as puzzled as Arthur and Percival.

I nodded, trying not to let tears fall, "That's Ember. My twin sister..."

The three of them looked shocked. I'd never mentioned her... I never thought I'd see her again...

"Can you help her?" Arthur said, putting his hand on my shoulder, knowing it hurt, seeing Ember injured.

"I can't... But Gaius can. She needs to get to Camelot."

"Very well... Someone go with him."

Gwaine stepped forward, "I will." He was always a good friend.

I carried Ember to my horse, and lay her carefully across it.

"How come you never mentioned her?" Gwaine asked.

"I never thought I'd see her again... And I never found the right time to mention her."

We rode back to Camelot, Gwaine asking me questions about Ember virtually the whole way back. 

*Gwaine's POV*

I could tell Merlin was hurting. Seeing his sister hurt like that... I wanted Merlin to tell me about Ember. Why he hadn't mentioned her. I looked over at her, and saw her arm was starting to bleed badly.

"Merlin, stop!" He did as I said, "Her arm." We both dismounted from our horses, and Merlin took a bandage from his pocket and wrapped it around her wound. I saw what little colour she had, drain from her face. We were almost at Camelot, so we knew that Gaius would be able to help. We climbed back on our horses, and continued to Camelot.

"What was she like? Anything like you?" I asked. I knew I was annoying him, but I wanted to know. Any friend of Merlin's is a friend of mine!

"Stronger than me. A better fighter. Smarter, too, come to think of it. I remember, in Ealdor, we were always very competitive, but she always beat me." I chuckled. I found the thought of Merlin being beaten by his sister rather funny.

"Why didn't you see her? Visit Ealdor or anything?"

"I never had chance..." Merlin looked like he regreted not going seeing Ember... I felt sorry fro him. It must have been awful to have to leave your family like that...

By this time, we were at Camelot's gates. I took Ember while Merlin tied the horses to the fence.

"Pass her to me." he said, holding out his arms, to take her. But for some reason, I wanted to hold her for a little longer...

"You go ahead and tell Gaius." he hesitated as I told him to do so, "Go!"

 He ran ahead to Gaius's chambers, me following close behind.

When I got there, Merlin had told Gaius what had happened. "Put her on here." Gaius told me, indicating a small bed in the corner. I laid her there and walked over to Merlin. He seemed nervous. I knew why. That was his sister. His own flesh and blood.

Gaius was by Ember, healing her arm. Then, Merlin rushed over to her as her eyes fluttered open...

*Ember's POV*

 I opened my eyes, and the first person I saw was Merlin. My twin brother.

"Merlin..." my voice was weak, so it was barely more than a whisper.

 "Ember!" he quickly gave me a bone-crushing hug.

I gasped in the pain from my arm, "Merlin, my arm! Ow!"

Then, a man I didn't know stood beside Merlin. He had relatively long, wavy, black hair, "How are you, Ember?"

"Not to be rude, but who are you?"

"Gwaine." he extended his arm for me to shake, which I did.

"Pleasure."

"So what happened?" Merlin asked me.

"Bandits. They attacked me, and took my sword."

Gwaine laughed a little, out of disbelief, "You can duel."

"We don't all have Merlin's lack of co-ordination!"

Gwaine laughed at that, too, but Merlin just glared at me.

"Well, it is true!" Gwaine added in my defence.

 Gaius put my arm in a sling, "Can I get up yet?" I asked, already bored of lying down.

"You only just got here!" Merlin argued.

"Merlin, I've hurt my arm, not my legs. I feel fine! If I start to feel ill, I sit back down. Please, Merlin. I don't want to sit down, or lie down, all day!"

"Fine..." Merlin gave in.

I sat up on my bed, and then jumped to my feet, trying to regain my balance, after not having stood up for so long. I headed towards the door.

"Where are you going?" Merlin asked, his brotherly side showing quite a bit.

"For a walk." I responded, as though it were obvious, which I thought it was.

"Merlin," Gwaine said, sounding as though he had an idea, "How about we take her to Gwen? See if she can stay for a while. She's your sister."

"That's an idea!" I said, looking back towards them, "Merlin, what do you think?"

"Why aren't you in Ealdor anyway?" he asked.

"Is it a crime to want to visit my brother, since he never found time to visit me?"

"When you put it like that..." he said, sheepishly.

Then, Merlin grabbed my good hand, and dragged me off, to see Gwen, Queen of Camelot.