3 Years Peace - The Humiliation of Arthur Pendragon

*Ember's POV*

A day had passed since Merlin and I's... Disagreement... Arthur was due back this afternoon, and Gwaine would tell him that someone was waiting for him in the arena. A friendly duel, of sorts. That 'someone' would be me. I'd be borrowing Gwaine's armour, and helmet, so Arthur wouldn't know that it was me.

Merlin and I weren't really speaking much... He got the wrong idea, about me and Gwaine... He's over-reacting, like Gaius said. Neither of us have really been trying to talk to each other, in all honesty. Neither of us is the kind to admit they're wrong, or to apologize...

 That morning, I was walking to the armoury, when someone called after me, "Ember! Ember, wait!"

I turned around and saw my brother, "Yes, Merlin?" I asked, with hardly any emotion.

"You do realize that I'm trying to make up for seven years of not being a brother?"

"Yes, Merlin, I know. But you're trying too hard. I wanted the brother I could have a laugh and a joke with, not one monitoring my every move! I wanted the brother I had in Ealdor..."

"I know, but you're my sister. I can't just not look out for you!"

"I know, and I'm not asking you to, but I'm old enough to look after myself. Just be the fun-loving brother you always were, back in Ealdor. All I want is my clumsy, uncontrolling, brother back... Now, I have to go..."

"Who was Gwaine talking about humiliating, anyway?"

"You'll see later. Don't worry, it isn't you. You don't need the help."

I chuckled to myself, and walked to the armoury. On the way there, I bumped into someone. I looked up, and it turned out to be Gwen.

"I'm sorry, my lady..."

"That's quite alright, Ember. And, please, call me Gwen." I just nodded, "Where are you going in such a hurry anyway?"

"The armoury. Gwaine said he'd help me practice."

"I watched from the window, yesterday. You're very good! Arthur will want to see you when he gets back, I'm sure."

"Perhaps... Anyway, I think I'm late enough..."

"Good-bye Ember."

I just nodded and went on my way. I wasn't being rude, but I was late already, and I didn't like being late.

I ran, half-heartedly, to the armoury, where I met Gwaine. 

"About time!"

"Sorry... Merlin wanted to talk to me..."

*Gwaine's POV*

I could tell something was wrong... The way she was acting... It wasn't like her... "What's wrong?" she just shook her head, "Come on, beautiful, tell me. What's wrong?" I saw a tear roll down her cheek.

"Merlin isn't the brother I used to have, in Ealdor... The trouble I caused never used to bother him, so long as I wasn't too hurt... He used to laugh! Now, he's so controlling... He's trying to be a good brother, but it's like I can't look after myself..."

"Ah, he'll come round... He just doesn't want to lose you again."

"I suppose..." she dried her eyes, "Come on, let's practice before Arthur gets back!"

I just laughed. She was so down, then so bright!

"Come on! It's entertaining, watching you being beaten by a girl!"

Then, I realised I was staring at her.

"What?"

"I'm just trying to figure you out..."