Chapter 1

"But in a solitary life, there are rare moments when another soul dips near yours, as stars once a year brush the earth. Such a constellation was he to me." ― Madeline Miller, Circe  ✄

⊱ ────── {.⋅ ✯ ⋅.} ────── ⊰

I definitely wasn't expecting that the reason why I couldn't go to school on Monday morning was because half of my school burned down. I mean, it was the American Dream that on Monday morning the dreaded school was canceled. Sure, I prayed and wished on the brightest star in the sky last night (which proved itself to be an airplane) that school would be canceled, like every normal teenager. But I wasn't expecting my wish to be taken so seriously. 

"You wished for this, didn't you?" My sister, Cassandra, asked as she sipped her morning coffee in the kitchen. I gasped, putting my hand to my heart. 

"I would do no such thing!" She rolled her eyes, and continued to watch the local news as the reporter pointed to my high school (well, half of it) charred. 

"Says the girl that wished for the biggest snowstorm last year and made half the town trapped in their houses for a whole week." I laughed as I remembered last winter. For the record, I may or may not have wished for a major snowstorm to hit during winter break last year giving us an extra week off, and a snowstorm may or may not have actually did that. 

"Cass, I can't control this power I have. With great power, comes no responsibility." I smiled, taking the orange juice out of the refrigerator. 

"You're full of shit." She chuckled as she shook her head. "This is so crazy though, I wonder what happened."

"They didn't say anything yet?" I wondered. 

"Nah, they're just showing the firefighters putting the fire out. Said it could've been a gas leak." I was about to respond when my phone rang. I picked it up, already knowing who was calling me this early. 

"Did you do this?" I rolled my eyes and mouthed Anna to Cass as she nodded in recognition. 

"Why does everyone think I did this! I'm capable of setting a chicken loose in the school, and dying the whole football team's hair blue, but burning half the school down? I'm not an arsonist, Anna!" 

"Could've fooled me," Cass mumbled under her breath as she got up to leave. I turned around and threw the closed orange juice container at her, hitting the back of her head. She turned around and stuck her middle finger up at me. A usual Dundas breakfast. 

"Fine Thea! I had to ask because seriously this timing is too perfect." 

"I don't know what happened. I woke up, got ready for school, and just as I was about to leave Cass told me the school was on fire last night." 

"It couldn't have been anything natural though. It's super cold here already, nothing would've caught. It had to be a gas leak." Anna piped, her brain already going a mile a minute. I wasn't surprised though, this is how she usually is as the Math Decathlon Champion for 3 years in a row. 

"Yea, Cass was telling me it could be a gas leak," I responded, eyes trained to my burnt crisp of a high school on TV. 

"Or..."

"Or? Or what Anna?" I pushed, rolling my eyes already. 

"I heard it could be Icarus." A laugh escaped my lips before I could register what she was saying. "It's all over Twitter and Snapchat! People are saying that it could be him, you know, knowing his history." 

"Icarus fucking Demitrou? Why would he do this? Other than to be a total walking cliche?" I laughed and turned off the TV. Icarus Demitrou couldn't have burned down the school, the very action has to require an emotion of care and/or anger. Whereas Icarus has none. Seriously. The boy has no feelings. People leave him alone at school, even the teachers refuse to call on him. I barely know anything about him, hell, I don't even know what his voice sounds like. And I know I'm not the only one. No one knows anything about him, other than the fact that he looks like Michaelangelo sculpted him from marble. I'm not blind, the boy is gorgeous. But unfortunately, his bad attitude and aloof personality reaks of an asshole.