Chapter 4

"I dragged on my ruined life in darkness and grief, wrathful in my heart..." ― Virgil, The Aeneid  ✄

⊱ ────── {.⋅ ✯ ⋅.} ────── ⊰

The next morning was as normal as it could be. My dad and mom headed out early to go to work, kissing both Cass and I on the forehead and telling us (mostly me) to stay out of trouble. Cass then focused on studying for the LSAT again due to the test date drawing near. And I headed over to Icarus's house. 

Yea, okay. Maybe not so normal. 

After Icarus left last night, the energy in my house only emphasized. My mom and Cass kept on saying that we probably should leave him alone because that is what he asked of us, whereas my dad and I don't really know the meaning of the word no. We agreed as a family, and after a pretty intense round of rock-paper-scissors, that we would leave it alone until Icarus asks us for help. I, however, never play by the rules and never think before I act. So, that leaves me wandering the other side of town, my bright red scarf wrapped around my face, looking for the house with a big number 31 on it. 

By the look of the houses, I knew I was in a different neighborhood. Most of the houses had chipped wood and patchy paint. Either something was broken, or something was about to break. I wasn't new to this neighborhood, I came around there once or twice to work on projects with other people. However, I didn't know this was where Icarus lived. Due to my parent's occupations, my family was well off. I knew of my privilege and I wasn't afraid to talk about the rewards I've gotten when other families do not have the same resources. My parents did not want Cass and I to abuse our privilege though, so they made Cass and I work for everything we got. The only times I got away with things due to my parent's occupations were probably the pranks. However, academically and socially, my parents had no help. Cass and I didn't have any tutors, extra classes, or any easy A's due to networking. If we got a bad grade, it was up to us to study and fix it. For Cass, it was easier. She was naturally smart like my Dad and Mom, whereas I definitely had to put in more effort. Nevertheless, I found my niche and she found hers. Our tenacity is what made our family great. 

I wondered about Icarus's family. No one really knows much about his personal life, or hell, him in general. As far as I know, he gets angry pretty quickly, asks a lot of questions, likes dogs and Hawaiian pizza. I think that is the most anyone has ever known about Icarus in all his high school life. 

As I was walking, my phone started to vibrate in my pocket and I fished it out, sighing at the caller ID. 

"So we're NOT going to talk about how you bailed on me yesterday?" Anna started, her voice tense. 

"I'm sorry about that Anna," I responded, passing house number 5. "I went to the police station with Cass to get Icarus out."

"You did fucking WHAT?" 

"I told you he didn't do it, and everyone was already blaming him. I mean, even the police officers thought he was guilty. They had him in handcuffs and he wasn't even arrested!" I explained. 

"Why the hell are you getting involved in this, Thea? People have been going around saying your Dad is now involved? You don't care about Icarus, you never even talked to him. I just don't understand why this is bothering you so much." 

"It doesn't bother you that someone is being blamed for a crime they didn't commit?" I retorted, not trying to lose my temper. 

"Ah, so its about justice. God, you're family has some weird sense about justice and morality man. I mean, you're right don't get me wrong. But, I didn't think it was this intense." Anna said. I sighed, loosening my scarf.