Chapter 73

"Your lying." Xavier spits, "You wouldn't do that."

Tears fill up my eyes as I look away, I am lying but I've got to convince him otherwise for Angeles sake.

"I'm sorry," I whisper.

"Please tell me your lying Nova." His voice breaking as he walks towards me. "Please tell me you haven't been with another man."

A small sob escapes my chest hearing the heartbreak in his voice.

"Please can I have the medicine, Xavier."

"LOOK AT ME AND TELL ME YOUR LYING!" He shouts as I cringe.

Taking a deep breath, I look to the tears in my husband's eyes. All air escapes my lungs, I can't do this to him.

Yes Xavier I'm lying im so sorry.

"Please Xavier the medicine." I sob.

As soon as the words escape my lips he walks towards me and his hand punches the wall beside my head.

I yelp closing my eyes, waiting for the pain that's sure to come.

But there's nothing. He doesn't hit me.

Instead, he walks over to the metal cupboard and takes out random bottles and starts mixing up liquids and pours them into two glass vials.

"Take this one today and the other tomorrow. Now leave, before I throw you out of here myself."

I clutch the vials in my hand and run out the room jumping slightly as the door bangs loudly from my exit.

Why do I keep hurting him? Why am I so determined to ruin this marriage?

******

Angeles

12 hours earlier.

"Oh, Pequeña! Fred proposed! He proposed! Isn't that wonderful?" My sister Rachel shouts while running down the stone path holding our mother's hat on her head to stop it falling off, our mother, said it was her lucky hat and generally only lets us borrow it for a potential engagement.

"How wonderful Rachel!" I say awkwardly, Rachel is only a year older than me but very much believes she's the mature one. So her running in a unladylike fashion isn't something she would normally do. Fred Parkins must have given Rachel an especially lovely ring for her to act in this manner.

"Isn't it just! Mother and father will be so happy! Fred's parents have even agreed to help pay for the wedding which will be a tremendous help for father. But at least its the last wedding he has to pay for." She sighs looking at her small silver pearl ring.

"What do you mean, the last wedding father will pay for? Surely he will have to pay for mine when I get married?" I say feeling confused.

But Rachel just snorts and quickly pinches my cheek. "Pequeña, no one is expecting you to get married silly!" She giggles taking off out mothers hat.

"Why ever not?" My pet name Pequeña has never felt so condescending as it does right now.

"Well, you must know why Pequeña." She looks me in the eye with an innocent look.

With a thud of my heart, I do know why. Nobody expects me to marry because I'm not beautiful like all my sisters. Because of my horrible freckles.

"Oh don't cry, it won't be that bad. You know we love you. But I just wouldn't get your hopes up to marry Pequeña, Aunt Rosa never married and she's happy being a spinster."