[ 13. ]

The music from the ballroom could be heard from outside the doors. Todoroki could feel her fingers gently trembling around his elbow. She was determined, though, her features hardened.

"Saito."

Asami turned her head to look at him. The light caught each pearl, shining like her ocean eyes. He swallowed and turned his gaze toward the double doors.

"You look like you are going into battle. You need to relax."

She nodded, and he visibly watched her try to release the tension in her shoulders. Her blue dress had a little sparkle to it that caught the light with slight iridescence. Todoroki suddenly felt insecure about his expensive suit.

He pushed open the double doors. They walked together into the ballroom. Asami felt her breath catch in her throat at the sight of all the heroes and primary celebrities.

"My son!" Endeavor boomed, making his way through the crowd. Eyes began to wander over toward the two. Asami clutched Todoroki tighter. He put his opposite hand on hers.

"Father," Todoroki responded without emotion. Endeavor looked between the two, smiling at Asami.

She immediately broke into a respectful bow and then lifted her head. He was practically beaming as whispers erupted around them.

"You have many people to meet," Endeavor said. Off to the side, as Asami felt her eyes scan the crowd. She was extremely uncomfortable, it was too much for her, but she had to keep a brave face.

"We are here for an appearance, and that is all," Todoroki insisted.

"Very well. You must stay for a little while." He smiled and then walked off toward another group of adults. It was clear they were the youngest there.

Todoroki caught sight of a familiar face. Fuyumi approached quickly, wearing a downplayed evening gown. "Shouto, how I've missed you so."

Todoroki let go of Asami as Fuyumi awkwardly embraced him. Asami put her hands together. That must be the sister he was protecting. Fuyumi's eyes reached Asami's. She had a flash of sympathy.

"You must be Hajime Asami," Fuyumi said, gently taking Asami's hands in hers. It was an apologetic touch. Asami fought the emotion rising in her throat, but she swallowed it down.

"And you must be his sister. It's an honor," Asami said, and Fuyumi stopped her from her respectful bow.

"No need to do that for me," she whispered and then let go of Asami's hands.

Giving one more wave, Fuyumi left them alone. Todoroki had caught sight of his older brother, who gave him a nod. After a moment, Asami felt Todoroki's hand around hers. He leaned in close, whispering to her.

"You're doing great, Saito. We must dance soon, though. Follow my lead."

The orchestra in the corner was flipping through sheet music. Asami was trying not to sweat, though every passing eye was on her. She kept a light smile on her face, though.

"Todoroki, what if I fall? Or embarrass you?" Her face turned slightly to his. It was the closest they had ever been. She could see the texture where he would shave. He could see the smoothness of her lips.